What is foam under the deck for????

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
is the foam for floatation or is it useless?? i have a glastron cvx16 that im getting ready to replace the floor in and i don't want to do it half a**ed. please let me know the purpose of this foam replacement idea. thanks and happy boating TOOCAN:)

Knightgang

Lieutenant
Re: What is foam under the deck for????

The foam is for floatation. However, foam technology has evolved. The older foam was not closed cell and absorbed water and held it wieghing down the boat and speeding up the rot process...

The newer foam is closed cell and needs a much larger submersion time before beginning to absorb water...

If you can estimate the weight of your rig, then you can calulate how much foam needs to go back into it the be able to allow it to continue to float if submerged...

BobsGlasstream

Commander

toocanshan,
Foam is for flotation but some manufacturers used is as a structural feature too. I can't say on your boat.
I saw one thread, where they called the builder and was told it was for both.
Some also say to use the blue or pink foam from Home stores.
Others will say no foam below the deck.
Foam is a highly debated subject.:confused:
I can only tell you what I plan to do. I will use the 2 part PUR foam, but I will also make sure that any area of the foam that is cut or torn will be sealed. :)
I have posted in my thread some information on a small study I did myself.
Good luck with you decision.
Bob

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks guys for quick reply, i have read that the one guy on here said he was using it as a sound blocker from the water noise i guess?? anyway ive only tore up two diff. decks in my day and never seen foam under the deck. one boat it was the whole bow was floatation and the 78 glastron cvx16 that i have now it is on both sides of the splash well. not too concerned about sinking just didnt want to mis out on some great invention that someone mustard up. just want a nice one thats all. it does not have to ride like a lexus just want it to go like a mustang!! thanks again for all input TOOCAN