What happens if I don't link & sync???

Swampmouse

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been working on a year long project rebuilding my powerhead (81 Johnson 115hp) - actually I finished it up in the summer and haven't had any time to do a link & sync. What will happen if I go fishing without doing it?/

Thanks,
SM

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What happens if I don't link & sync???

posibility it wont run right as not getting full throttle wont idle right start hard

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

all the above, or not. actually depends on how close it is. or you could do damage if far out.

Swampmouse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Book says I need a special tool to screw into spark plug port to find TDC. Is there any way without using the tool?

If not, can I buy this at Autozone?

Thanks,
SM

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You dont need the special tool, most guys make their own. I hollowed out an old spark plug with a welding rod in it to spec, but there are many other ways.

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

did you mess w/ the pointer? if not you should be ok,ya? i need to do one as well after replacing everything,but its very sketchy leaning over a flywheel spinning at 3000-4000 rpm.be careful.
btw, someone here said to back the boat down the ramp and do it while still on the trailer. problem i have is our town is a waterman town and i dont want to do any damage ie:huge pothole from prop blowing out the dirt. know what i mean, not to mention all that dirt being sucked up.
my 2 cents.

Swampmouse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I didn't mess with the pointer.

SM

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey what ever w/ the water pouring out from the bottom off the block.? you get her fixed?