What happened to FreeBeeTony

imported_scott_m

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone heard from FBT? I know a bunch of us have been following his posts with great interest - ignition, fuel issues, flappers, bottom growth, etc. I have not seen a posting in a couple of weeks and wondered if he was able to resolve his issues. Tony if you're out there, let us hear how you made out.

lowshovel1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What happened to FreeBeeTony

I've been pondering same thing----------Tony,where you at on that mission?

KaGee

Admiral

Last I read, I thought he was procuring a trailer to pull his boat out. :confused:

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In a moment of despair and frustration he could have motored out to the middle of the ocean in a 3200 RPM bog, pulled the plug and went done with the ship.

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by steve n carol:<br /> I think TROG is helping im out :)
Ayuh,..............<br /><br />Trog,+ Richard Peterson,.............. :D <br /><br />I'm Thinking he's going to be looking at This,.... When he gets the Drive Off.....<br /><br /><br />
transass.jpg

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I didn't know I was so famous..........<br /><br />I am picking up a trailer next w/e.<br /><br />Just sold the old Grady last w/e.<br /><br />Have had company.....mother-in-law visiting. <br /><br />I hope you're right Bondo.......<br /><br />I have been using the boat though.......the 24' sure rides better than the 20'.<br /><br />I will let you guys know what I find as soon as I take the drive off..........<br /><br />So.......how confident is everyone that it is an exhaust restriction?

tommays

Admiral

we will see but bondos has the finest blockage i have ever seen<br /><br /><br />tommays

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by tommays:<br /> we will see but bondos has the finest blockage i have ever seen<br /><br /><br />tommays
Bondo does it right or he don't do it! :D

rbezdon

FBTony, I think you know I have been fighting a very similar issue with my 5.7. Tonight I finally mbit the bullet and pulled the drive. Exhaust was clean as a whistle. As far as I can figure, the only thing that can stick in there is the flappers. I had one missing a few years ago but the guy that serviced my drive at that time found it melted in the exhaust bellows. The other flapper was intack. I have now replaced them both. I also replaced the drive and exhaust bellows. Both were the originals from 88 but they were in great shape still. So my guess is you won't find anything in the exhaust path just like i did.

imported_scott_m

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FBT...it's not you that's so famous...it's your problem! J/K. Keep us all posted on how everything works out for you.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Thanks Mack.......... :) <br /><br />I hope I don't get the same results as Ron.........<br /><br />I will let you guys know what I find when I pull the drive........

ntheyer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I still have the same issue with my boat. Done everything FreeBeeTony has done. I've pretty much given up. I'll probably sell the boat after I get married this weekend. I've tried everything everyone has told me and it is still the same. It just boggles the mind! I appreciate everyone's help though.

rbezdon

Good news guys, I have gotten rid of my bogging issue. The cam swap and elimination of the 1/2 inch space under the carb seems to have cured it. Yesterday I pretty much had my old boat back. The WOT RPM a tad lower than I expected, around 4500 with the 14x21 but that was about 53 mph. Not too bad. I am going to try the 19 pitch that came with the old 5.0 just for grins nest time I am out. I expected a bit more with the big cam and Preformer manifold but I am back in the game. I hope Tony gets here too!

rbezdon

I bought a long block and the guy I bought it from put a car cam in it by mistake. I think the main problem was with the carb and manifold though. The Edelbrock manifold has a different carb opening than the stock cast iron original. The original had more sereration in the two halves by the way the mounting plate was made. The new one is much more open. I think having the spacer diluted the signal to the carb too much resulting in the bog. Unfortunately, I am not 100% sure because I did not want to do one change, haul the boat two hours drive up and back to the lake and then tear it down and do the cam change. I did all the work in one trip so all I know is changing the cam and mounting the quadrajet such that the two sides of the carb are sealed against the manifold solved the problem.

rbezdon

Oh, and I guess I did one more thing. That was pull the outdrive while I had the boat here for the other work. As I said, I found the exhaust clear so I did R&R the drive and lube the u joints and gimball. Obvioiusly this did not effect the bog.

rbezdon

I measured the intake lift. It matched close enough what Ralphsent me in my cam spec posting.