What fire extinguishers do people carry?

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Boat in question is the 20' Sea Ray in my sig:

I've got two Kidde Mariner 1-A:10-BC fire extinguishers, which hopefully will handle a fire, but I know the dry chemical makes a big mess. Do many people carry the Halotron liquified gas or other non-powder extinguishers, either in addition to, or as the only fire extinguisher on the boat?

rwidman

Lieutenant
Re: What fire extinguishers do people carry?

Boat in question is the 20' Sea Ray in my sig:

I've got two Kidde Mariner 1-A:10-BC fire extinguishers, which hopefully will handle a fire, but I know the dry chemical makes a big mess. Do many people carry the Halotron liquified gas or other non-powder extinguishers, either in addition to, or as the only fire extinguisher on the boat?

What you have is fine. If you have a fire on your boat, you will already have a "mess". Some powder residue won't make that big of a difference.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

You could also carry a 2-A; 20-BC CO2 extinguisher. I carry those as they will extinguish much more fire than a dry chem and create no after-the-fire cleanup...as if the fire clean up weren't bad enough...:mad:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

depends, inboard or outboard.
outboard engine fires you typically MUST remove the hood to extinguish it.
that sucks.
its amazing how small a 22ft boat gets when the 225 OMC on the back is burning merrily.
been there.
inboard,at least 2 bottles AND the onboard fireboy type system is the ticket.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the idea of the 2-A; 20-BC CO2 extinguisher, especially since it's more efficient than the small dry powder ones. I'm also looking into the Fireboy system. At first glance, expensive, until you think about the consequences. Thanks for the suggestions!

And it's probably correct that the fire cleanup could be worse than a little dry powder. I just remember a scenario from when I was a teenager. I was at a drive-in with my girlfriend and a hot '57 chevy had an engine fire start. I was the only one around with a fire extinguisher. I got the fire out, and the guy that owned the car was really pissed at me because I made such a mess out of his clean engine:confused: What a jerk!

shrew

Lieutenant

........ I got the fire out, and the guy that owned the car was really pissed at me because I made such a mess out of his clean engine:confused: What a jerk!

My replies would have been (pick one)

1) Well, the next time I'll let the car burn instead.

2) I can always set it back on fire if you'd prefer.

3) LOL, uh OK because you were much better off with the fire? So dirty engine or new paint job and you want to hang your hat on "new paint" job?

4) Tell you what, I'll start worrying about your clean engine when you start worrying about the safety of your passengers and the people and their property around you.

Of course in reality, I wouldn't have been so quick, and the real reply as I'm walking away would be "LOL, Ya, ok...whatever".