what does this mean and how do i fix it?

Firemedic09

Seaman Apprentice
i went out to look at and possibly work on and order parts for my motor which is a 1986 force 125. right where the lower unit mounts to the other half of the motor there is oil coming out and running down the unit to the ground. the motor is completely tilted up i dont know if this makes a difference. my question is this is well above where my fill hole is for the oil. is this residual from running it the other day? is this a common problem? what do i need to do to fix this? if you are familiar with my other post you know the story behind this. the good thing is the oil didnt have a milky appearance! haha

if i end up having to pull this apart to fix it i need a little help with the seal kit. the link below is the one im talking about. its #74 on the ref. part it says seal kit. is this everything i would need for seal? if there is more can you please point them out? what else would be wide to replace while im into it?

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...6/30.png&inbr=1227&bnbr=10&bdesc=GEAR+HOUSING

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: what does this mean and how do i fix it?

How much oil? It could be unburned fuel and carbon from the exhaust. If it is actual gear oil then you will need to pressure test and see where it's leaking.
Post a pic if you can.Jerry

Firemedic09

Seaman Apprentice

i would say maybe 1oz. probably less then that. enough to run down and make a few drip spots on the dirt. i will send the pics if i can thanks

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

DId you drain a little of the gear oil from the drain hole. If you did was it milky or did it have water in it? Sometimes water can get in the gear box causing the gear oil level to rise thus causing a leak. Seems like you are planning a reseal which is good, do a search for Reseal lower unit thread started by me. Frank gave complete and easy directions on how to reseal a 85 hp, i cant imagine that it would be that different. Also since you have the lower unit dropped, time for a new impeller. Good luck and keep us informed.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

If it smells like gas dont worry about it. By tilting the motor the floats in the carbs have to work a lot harder to stay closed and keep fuel from flowing. There is still pressure in the fuel lines and it will drain down the motor leg and usually dribble down the lower unit. If it has a really nasty pugnent oder that smells like nothing else you have ever smelt in your life it is gear oil. If it smells like gas it is gas and oil.