What Do You Think? Good Deal?

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you like small vintage outboards, sure.

Not familiar enough w 47s, so not sure if its 100% accurate paint/decals, but it he claims it runs, so worth 150, IMO

F_R

Supreme Mariner
If it truly is restored, he probably has more time and $$ than that invested in it. That's what we usually do, restore 'em and sell 'em at a loss.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Yeah, Grandpa's old Evinrude is suddenly a classic on Ebay, listed for what Grandpa called an annual salary. Good to buy from a guy who enjoys careful work, knows where to stop, and passes it along to somebody who values it the same way. Seller may be one of those guys -- asking price seems good.

Restorations can be kind of tough to judge. At some point a restored wooden boat can become a different boat. IMO, same is true with an antique outboard.

[ed. can always take a compression and spark tester with you when looking at it. If the seller wants to show off both to you, think you can be pretty sure you are onto a good thing.]

Last edited:

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Antique or not, if it starts easy and runs good, it's a good buy at $150.00.

lindy46

Captain
If it truly is restored, he probably has more time and $$ than that invested in it. That's what we usually do, restore 'em and sell 'em at a loss.

Yeah - done that many times. Thought it would be nice to be on the other end of the equation for a change. I guess I'll go take a look.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Funny how after he restores it he lays her down on the concrete?!? lol

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have almost $500 into my 6hp.
To restore this probably wouldn't be that different.

Curious if painted & running is his idea of restored.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
I agree with above^^^

One guys idea of "restored" is completely different than anothers.

When I sell a motor as "restored" the thing comes completely apart. Dip, then soda blast all parts. Re assemble with all new or NOS items like gaskets, pistons, rings, rods, bearings, seals, etc... Full mechanical tune up of consumables, tuned, tested and painted/decals.

There are others in my area that sell "restored" motors that put new plugs in and spray carb cleaner in the throat. So, online, take the word "restored" for what its worth!

In my humble opinion, the price of a "restored" motor would vary wildly depending on who restored it. There are a few members of the AOMCI that restore these 20s, to 40s vintage that I might pay big bucks for ! Similar "restored" motors, might only be worth 100 bucks to me. So that is why I find it very difficult to put a price on a restored motor, unless I know who the restorer is.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I agree -- whole range of preferences in both buyers and sellers. As a buyer I want a good original if I can find it -- do any "restoration" myself.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I'd take a look at that recoil - might be a Bakelite housing. I believe the Bakelite housings were remnants of WWII as aluminum was still in short supply immediately after the war.

lindy46

Captain
Well, I bought it for $125. Basically the seller cleaned, painted and put new decals on it to display. Although he didn't do any mechanical work on it, they guy he bought it from used it regularly. I checked compression and she was 70psi, and she has spark. The recoil needs some work as it doesn't "catch" very good. Interesting, the spring-loaded pawls are on the flywheel and spin with it. The springs hold the pawls out to catch the recoil, and then retract by centrifugal force once the engine is spinning. Got to figure out why it's not catching.

jbcurt00

Staff member
But ^^^ it runs?

As I said originally, if ya like vintage OBs and it runs, it wasn't too much for a decent looking and running OB.

Restored does sound like a heck of a strerch from how I define it, but if it runs......

lindy46

Captain
Just an update on my 1947 Evinrude Sportsman - checked the points and coils and they were original and in good condition! Thoroughly cleaned the points which were right on .020", and cleaned the whole mag plate which had a light film of oil pretty much all over. Put in a new spark plug, and cleaned the carb which was already pretty clean. Put in some gas and gave her a yank - she started on the first pull!!. Adjusted the carb needle and she now purrs like a kitten, and pumps water well. Pretty amazing for a 69 year old engine. Still have a few parts to get for the recoil and it needs a rubber steering handle grip to make it complete. Once finished, I'll post a picture of this beauty.