What do you think about my trailer incident?

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What do you think about my trailer incident?

I am glad no one was injured. I do not trust those carriers, even though they are handy to have, and throw the spare in the back of my truck.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Hitting it with the boat would be enough to start a problem, although overtightening and vibration would do it as well. I know that I can tag mine with the boat. The design of these types of spare mounts is really succeptable to over tightening, in the same way that a cheap leaf spring plate can be over tightened and cracked.

In the case of this trailer, the boat can't come near the spare or I agree it could be an issue. It it were a bunk trailer I could see it but the part where the spare is located doesn't even and can't even come close. Interesting, I looked at the manufacturer site and they still sell the same mount except they have added an additional brace. That said the part that the additional brace is located broke away on mine anyway. I suppose the extra brace mitigates the inherint vibration of the design and the probability of this happening. I wished I saw someone else post this issue at some point as I would have taken action.

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

That's he one I have, except mine is painted black.

Looks like I need to find something better, this one looks to be constructed better, and about the same height. I want on the same height, or a bit higher as I use the tire as a step from the bow onto the trailer while loading up.

Ditto!

You guys are freaking me out here - I transport mine back and forth about 170miles each way.

UncleWillie

Captain

...I looked at the manufacturer site and they still sell the same mount except they have added an additional brace. That said the part that the additional brace is located broke away on mine anyway. I suppose the extra brace mitigates the inherent vibration of the design and the probability of this happening...

I was going to say it was not a manufacturing issue, but a design issue.
It seems the manufacturer has changed the design to fix the flaw.

You might try the tactic of calling them to inform them that the design may have a problem and that you just want to let them know.
Be Nice!
There may be a silent recall of sorts and they may send you the revised version for your troubles.
Worth a try!

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've got a Fulton on mine that I added because mine didn't come with one. My instructions recommended the use of a safety chain or cable. My cable snaps to my winch post safety chain eye. If my carrier breaks my tire won't hit the road, the cable won't snap, the boat won't get hurt and nobody else is at risk.

Am I the only one that read that part of the instructions?

oldjeep

Admiral

I've got a Fulton on mine that I added because mine didn't come with one. My instructions recommended the use of a safety chain or cable. My cable snaps to my winch post safety chain eye. If my carrier breaks my tire won't hit the road, the cable won't snap, the boat won't get hurt and nobody else is at risk.

He had a cable, it snapped. But who reads instructions to put on a spare tire mount ;)

fishrdan

Admiral

I've got a Fulton... My instructions recommended the use of a safety chain or cable. My cable snaps to my winch post safety chain eye.

Instructions, we don't need no stinkin' instructions... :D

I (just) read the instructions for my HF spare tire carrier and it said nothing about a safety chain/cable, but I'm talking about HF. :rolleyes:

I found something amusing in their instructions though:

Specific Trailer Tire Carrier Warnings and Precautions
6. For safety, it is recommended that 2 people install this product.

Really, 2 people for a 10# accessory?

Even if one were to use a safety chain/cable, it would need to be anchored up high (like you did) so the tire couldn't flop around and get wedged up under the trailer, causing all sorts of havoc. I have mine looped around the frame like jkust and I bet the same thing would happen if my mount broke.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Yes to reiterate, I had what I thought was a thick cable lock around the trailer and through the spare. It broke instantly and I recovered the severed cable from the highway. The force of the impact was so great that even the very thick transome tie down material snapped in half again a feet I thought nearly impossible and even the s hook on the transome tie down got straightened out. The tie down eyes on the transome of the Chaparral were unmangeled but the S hooks (these are really heavy duty) straightened. I bet I could hold the whole boat and trailer up with that strap down material.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Well, I made the insurance claim. The process is bring the trailer into a shop that can peform the repair work, etc and they will pay. No questions asked. I don't know of any shop that could perform the work so will call some local marinas for some suggestions.

jestor68

Commander

I carry my spare in the bed of my P/U truck when towing the boat. No worries mate. :)

babbot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Somehow the question whether to file an insurance claim surfaced. I forget whether it's one you actually asked or not, but the advice to not even pursue the possibility is uninformed. If you're not sure whether it would be worth the trouble ask your agent. That's what you pay him/her for. That phone call won't cost you anything and it would be silly not to make it.

Sorry but I would disagree with this. I called my issurance company when I had a car accident that was not my fault to find out what to do and a few months later my premiums went up drastically... And I didn't do anything wrong to make them go up like a ticket.

Glad to hear no one was hurt.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sorry but I would disagree with this. I called my issurance company when I had a car accident that was not my fault to find out what to do and a few months later my premiums went up drastically... And I didn't do anything wrong to make them go up like a ticket.

+1 on that. Agents are required to report those kind of calls. Once you make a call like that you might as well file the claim.

catfish58

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I fear that this thread has convinced me that the $10 U-bolts are a safer approach. PITA to use when needed but safer.

I use a U-bolt attached to the underside of the trailer frame with a locked cable for security.Engalls Harbor 001.jpg

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Hmmmm, I've never heard of that nor experienced it, but I'm not disputing your personal experience. That's very interesting. I'll have to ask my agent about this so I don't stumble into a similar predicament.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

+1 on that. Agents are required to report those kind of calls. Once you make a call like that you might as well file the claim.

Depends on your insurance company I guess. Not ALL are required to report calls. In fact, agents would much rather talk you out of a claim, their goal is to keep you as a happy customer and paying your premium. If the insurance company raises rates, the agents aren't happy because you may find other insurance.

Also, agents aren't always the most informed when it comes to claims. They generally don't deal too deeply in that side of the business, there are dedicated insurance people for that job.

(used to work in insurance)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Depends on your insurance company I guess. Not ALL are required to report calls. In fact, agents would much rather talk you out of a claim, their goal is to keep you as a happy customer and paying your premium. If the insurance company raises rates, the agents aren't happy because you may find other insurance.

Also, agents aren't always the most informed when it comes to claims. They generally don't deal too deeply in that side of the business, there are dedicated insurance people for that job.

This was my suspicion, but I wasn't sure and haven't asked my agent about it. I often call him for guidance (including whether to file a claim) and none of the calls has ever resulted in a rate increase or any additional contact from Farmer's. He knows all my deductibles and coverage limits and exclusions by heart. In fact, he knows my numbers (work and cell) and always answers my call with the greeting "What have you done now?".:eek:

jkust

Rear Admiral

Agents (recognized as "Producers" in many states) work for the insurance company not you. Brokers (not allowed in many states) work for you. My insurance is Progressive and so there is no agent. My experience with agents is they are by and large sales people without a whole lot of added value where the claims process is concerned. Interestingly most people have a negative view of agents, that is all but theirs or at least that's how the polls come out. In other words agents are terrible but mine is the exception mentality. For the insurances I do have with an agent, I'd say he is relatively inept. The cost for the insurance allows me to overlook a lot.