What do I need to counter rotate a 200 merc.

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer
Has anyone ever counter rotated a motor themselves????? I am thinking all I need is a starter, maybe a trigger plate, and lower unit gears. Am I leaving anything out? Any help would great... Does anyone know what the factory charges for counter rotating. :confused:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: What do I need to counter rotate a 200 merc.

Counter rotating motors also use a different waterpump...<br />- Scott

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class

That would depend on what engine you are talking about. The newer engines don't change rotation of the engine, they change the direction of the prop. Only the older direct reversing "dock bashers" changed direction of the motor. <br />To make the change, you need to replace the gearcase with a counter rotating unit, switch the shifting in the control box and install a counter rotation prop. Not cheap by any means, but probably less expensive than buying a complete motor! <br /><br />Hope this helps!

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Are you refering to a 200hp Merc or a 20hp Merc. If you have the serial number it would be a great help.<br /><br />TMD

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer

1992 200 hp Mercury Offshore 30" shaft. So far we have the following components identified...<br /><br /> -Starter(need polarity reversed)<br /> -Trigger plate (to adjust timing in opposite direction)<br /> -Water pump (housing needs to be reversed)<br /> -Lower Unit Gears<br /> -Propeller<br /><br /> ....what about shifting into the gears? Will this have to be reversed? <br /><br />I will get serial number and post later. :confused:

The Marine Doctor

Commander

I have looked at the parts manual...all that is needed is to make your engine a counter rotation engine is to replace the gears.<br /><br />This will make the prop spin the opposite direction.<br /><br />TMD

JRatliff

Cadet

How about this ... <br />Just put a counter-rotating prop on it. Then, if you have a control box like I have, I just swapped where the control cable is connected in the control box. <br />Now when I put the egine in foward I am actually runing the reverse gear. The cable pushes and pull backwards from what is normal. When I push the control lever into forward, the gear lever on the engine actually moves into reverse and that is the correct direction of rotation for forward with the new prop.<br />Very simple and cheap, just the cost of the new prop. and the time to swap the cable in the control box.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> just buy a counter rotating gear case and correct sized prop and go for it. I wonder why the engineering at merc did not think about just changing the wheel and going the otherway with the cable. think of the money they could have saved :) :)

robalofish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not a good idea to switch the cable to reverse. There are definite differences in the thrust bearings and other parts in a c/r lower unit. To change use Rodbolt or TMD’s guidance. I have a 200 with a CCW lower unit and I only have one engine, looks like the previous owner got a good deal on a CCW lower unit. <br /><br />Rfish >()> ;) ;)

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer

OK guys.... I know that I could put a reversed gear lower unit on, but I thought that the motor was countered to offset the torque of the other motor. Do you guys know for "Sure" that the newer motors "ONLY" have countered lower units??? And not countered motors. If that motor is not countered, I am going to use a standard rotatation and change gears and prop. Is it really that simple??? Thanks for all the help...

The Marine Doctor

Commander

If you put the engines side by side, they are the same except for the prop and the gearing.<br /><br />They do not run in alternate directions.<br /><br />TMD

robalofish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll second that as that was exactly what was done with my engine - Original owner on a single engine boat no less, did exactly that swapped the lower unit and the prop for a CCW lower unit and prop. Imagine my surprise when I walked into the prop shop and the guy said left-hand prop where’s the other one?<br /><br />Any way - Good Luck<br /><br />RFISH >()> ;) ;)

sorrydog

Seaman

counter rotating motors are only for use with speedmaster lower units intended for circle boat racing. I think they come from the factory with locked timing too.<br /><br />The torque that is being canceled out is from the props not the motor rotation.