What do I grind the hull with?

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I went and got a angle grinder today and a wire wheel, 36 grit flap disk + the grinding wheel that came with it.. What should I use? Here are a few pictures.
1015081623.jpg

1015081624.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: What do I grind the hull with?

perfect......the hard disc can even go thru the wood if need be.

the rubber flapper is prefect.....36 grit will chew thru most stuff......i use a 24 grit resin backed sanding disc.......

just dont get too carried away with it....you can go thru the hull in a heart beat.......

read the sticky at the top of the forum.......and be careful with the grinder.....all the safety stuff will come off....so its live......

just a bout all of us have ground thru our skin at one point or another....the dust will stay in your lungs....so get a resporator.....gloves and goggles.....

dont forget the tyvec suit.....wear long sleeved shirts and long pants...preferably with long john underwear.....

and dont wash the clothes in your wifes washing machine.....or you will be living at a motel in no time

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that black thing is a backing pad and not a rubber disk. I couldn't find a rubber one, I did look because I remembered hearing from some one or some where on hear about that. I checked super K and autozone but ended up at tractor supply. I did get the extra 1 yr replacement and the grinder was only 35$. Lows and Home depo are about 20 miles from home, I'll call around tomarrow and see if i can find a rubber disk. So what should I start with?

BTW there was only one 1/2 layer of ply and its came up easy. still have some more wood to get out. What should i do about the chanel down the middle? the woods not comming out? should i just grind it out?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yup....a rubber backing pad.....called a flapper.......

your set bud

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well alright then.. I just got the closest thing i could find, guess that worked!!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

of all the tools we use here there only a very few specilaty tools.....and thoes are mostly for sanding and buffing.....

as far as a teardown a standard circ saw....grinder crow bar and chizel will get you pretty far.....

all of whch are standard department store tools.......

if you read mark 42's hard top project.....there is a specialty sander polisher you might want for later....around 50 bucks....mine is a maketa.....$250....but thats about it for really specialty tools......

now..... if you have air...:D

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Don't forget the protective gear!

A set of goggles to protect your eyes are a good idea all the time. Also a disposable jump suit to keep fiberglass dust off your cloths and skin, some heavy vinyl gloves, and a respirator.

I found these items at very good prices at Galeton.com

My order:

1 9731 "2000 Series" Half Mask Respirator M $26.25 Each $26.25
1 9743 Organic Vapor Cartridge $9.45 Pair $9.45
2 9753 P100 Slimline Filter $6.25 Pair $12.50
5 9912 Coverall with Hood, Elastic Wrists and Ankles L $1.95 Each $9.75
1 7728F Double Thick Latex EMT Gloves M $10.95 Box of 50 $10.95
Sub Total: $68.90
Shipping via Standard Ground: $11.21
ORDER TOTAL $80.11
That $80 is well worth the price for safety and comfort.

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, no air yet. The girlfriends dad has a compressor that I'll probably try to use for the painting. The rubber disk was plastic and it melted the second I touched it to the hull.. The wire wheel seams to work pretty good though. I now see that a dust mask won't do!! I can see fiber floating in the air after a few seconds of grinding. I was just testing the waters... Well OOP's should I add this to my other post? It was helpful to me..

i386

Captain

Put on some lotion before you suit up. It'll help keep anything that gets into your suit from getting in your skin. Shower as soon as you're done but don't scrub too hard. I had to shave my goatee to get a better seal on my respirator. I don't have a compressor but I did buy an air tank. I rigged it up with a blower nozzle to blow the excess dust off myself and out of the grinder periodically. It's the worst part of the job but just suck it up and get it done.

Be safe.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

....The rubber disk was plastic and it melted the second I touched it to the hull....

That disk is the supporting back for sandpaper disks, not to be used by itself.
Put the disk on, put the sandpaper with the 1" or 7/8" hole in the center, then screw on the center hub. Bingo! Sanding machine.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

as far as a teardown a standard circ saw....grinder crow bar and chizel will get you pretty far.....

Including that ball joint fork ya got laying around....LOL.......:p

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mark42 good idea!! thats what i just blew that on the grinder and the other stuff.

That pickel fork came in handy!! I have 2 and used them both! Add that to the list of tools!!

That lotion tip would have helped a half hour ago!! Itch~~~itch~~~itch!!!

I already let tractor supply know they will be seing that grinder again:p Blow the dust off me???? Why? I want the G/F to enjoy this project as muck as I am!!!

Itch~~Itch@@@@IIIIITTTTTCCCCHHH....

I am protecting my eyes well and using a dust mask but thats not enough..

i386

Captain

That lotion tip would have helped a half hour ago!! Itch~~~itch~~~itch!!!

Itch~~Itch@@@@IIIIITTTTTCCCCHHH....

I know this sounds crazy, but this is what I do when I itch. BTW, don't scratch it. I put duct tape LIGHTLY on my skin and peel it off. Don't stick it on so well that it grabs hair and skin. Practice on a non hairy place first. I honestly believe it pulls out the tiny glass fibers. I can see the sparkles in the tape when I hold it under a light.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I am protecting my eyes well and using a dust mask but thats not enough..

Dust masks will not cut it with glass fibers. And glass fibers are a very bad thing to get in your lungs. I was amazed at how well a simple respirator worked with just a dust filter. Easy breathing, even better than dust masks. And it catches all the crap, and much smaller than the dust mask will. And the dust mask leaks like submarine with screen doors.

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What??? itch~~~itch~~~~itch!! I got almost all the old wood out... I have been working on the middle peice and it's still not budging?? It's not rotted, should i just leave it? The kids are watching the titanic and it just split in two??? Is this a sign? should I just keep cutting down with the grinder? I need the full body suit!!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yup....as john said in the other thread......keep grinding......if you need to ....that solid grinding disc can cut.....

but if you take that rubber backing pad.....and put a sanding disc on it.....the sanding disc will eat it pretty good.....dont go thru the hull.......what you are doing is removing all the wood from the center stringer......its deep in the keel.....you can leave splinters......some times it all comes out at once.....some times it doesnt.....it can be a pita......but keep atter bud.......with the grinding disc or rubber backed sand paper ...it has no choice....it has to come out......