What did I do right?

harrison20002

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently got hold of two outboard motors. The first one is a 9.9 Chrysler and the other is a 6.6 Chrysler.<br /><br />A Marine shop in this area just happened to have all the parts I needed to overhaul them. I finished working on them and tried 'em out. Both ran excellent. All the time I was reading what pieces of crap they were.<br /><br />I've also heard that they were O.K. with the proper maintenance. I really don't qualify as a Maintenance Freak. I check l/u level 3 or 4 times a season and change the impeller each Spring. Keep my fuel well mixed and the gas tank clean. When I come into the dock I disconnect my gasline and load up. Same as with our other motors.<br /><br />Am I missing something or can I rely on these two motors? The 6.6 starts on about the second or third pull. The 9.9in about 5 or 6. Another thing is I have less than $300.00 invested in the whole shootin' match.<br /><br />The reason I ask these questions is I am sure they could write books on things I don't know.<br /><br />I would appreciate all the output I could get as I don't know weather to keep them or not. Waiting for Spring. See ya, Hal :confused: :confused: :confused:

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: What did I do right?

If they have good compression, and you take the kind of care you describe, keep 'em. I happen to have a 1982 Chrysler/Sea King 4 horse and wouldn't give it up. Some of the older, "off-brand" motors are great ones to thrash around in. And when they sink or sieze, you're not out a lot of $. :D

mccoyrl

Seaman Apprentice

Harrison,<br /><br />I have a 1975 Chrysler. It runs great. Just do the PM on them and they'll last forever. If you rebuilt them, you should know better than anyone their condition. Sounds like you got a good deal.

D

DJ

harrison20002,<br /><br />There was nothing inherently wrong with them. You do all the right stuff to make any engine live. They suffered from poor product support.<br /><br />Enjoy em.

skier

Petty Officer 1st Class

Harrison, <br /><br />I'm glad that your motors are running great. With good maint. and good operating practices that you have they should last a long time. Poor support is what took Chrysler down. If you find getting parts hard, look at the Force outboards. They are the same motor. Good luck and have fun on the water :)

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Merc140...Chrysler Marine went down when the auto makers got bailed out by the feds. They had to sell off their subsidiaries to recieve the monetary assistance. Chrysler outboards ended up in the hands of Mercury. They still use some of the technology they got. Stop badmouthing Chrysler.<br />just a Thought

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Hal, you are doing proper mainaintence. I just thought you'd like to know that. You would be amazed at how many people can't grasp the concept, but you have.<br />They are old motors, and you should treat them that way,as far as reliability.<br />And keep up the good werk you exhibit at the dock, with the preventive maint.