What Chevy engine is my 2006 350 MAG MPI Horizon?

c1steve

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I suspect it might be an LT1, however for many parts I believe it is compatible with engines used in 2001 C/K 2500 trucks. If so, it would not be the LT1.

It is a 5.7 with a roller cam. Serial number s#OM675521.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I suspect it might be an LT1, however for many parts I believe it is compatible with engines used in 2001 C/K 2500 trucks. If so, it would not be the LT1.
no, its a 1996+ Gen 1 SBC engine with vortec heads.

the LT1 (gen 2) was a reversed cooling motor with specific reverse cooling heads for the LT1.

The LT1 was a passenger car only.

what parts are you looking for?

c1steve

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No particular parts at this time, thank you. However knowing the engine model will help me in the future. May do a rebuild next spring. I redid the heads with Manley stainless valves two years ago, but power seems down and the motor has 2,000 hours on it. Will do a compression test soon.

If the Merc parts would fit on a Gen 2 engine, I would start with the new block. Do you know if the original Mercruiser parts are compatible with a Gen 2?

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:

c1steve

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Okay, mine appears to be a L31 model engine. Will check more when back at the boat.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
There are no marine Gen 2 motors other than a very small percentage of highly custom ski boat motors that were built in the early 90s by indmar. They were short lived.

Being MPI, rebuild it stock, or look at going stroker with a 6.2 ECM (then build it to the stock 6.2 specs)

Your motor shares the block, rotating assembly and heads with the trucks, however the rest of the bits are marine specific. Head gaskets, cam, core plugs, front accessories, electrics, fuel system, ECM, and circulation pump are all marine only

c1steve

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I check the intake manifold, and it uses 4 bolts per head. So it is the L31 engine. Thanks for all the above tips.

alldodge

Staff member
I check the intake manifold, and it uses 4 bolts per head. So it is the L31 engine. Thanks for all the above tips.
And so does the 1996 and later Vortec motor

But hey, pay no attention to the above folks advice, you know better

Good luck

Scott Danforth

Staff member
All SBCs with vortec heads have 8 bolts per intake (4 bolts per head). Including the 1988 SBC I warmed over. Stop thinking the marine/industrial motor is same as an automotive offering

c1steve

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Okay, thanks Scott. I was going by the info on Wikipedia. I am always trying to understand where and how to buy parts without paying the high Mercuriser prices.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Your motor shares the block, rotating assembly and heads with the trucks, however the rest of the bits are marine specific. Head gaskets, cam, core plugs, front accessories, electrics, fuel system, ECM, and circulation pump are all marine only
post #5 has the information you need.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Okay, thanks Scott. I was going by the info on Wikipedia. I am always trying to understand where and how to buy parts without paying the high Mercuriser prices.
Wikipedia is not a great place to get engine info for parts purposes.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Wikipedia has more wrong information than a seloc or Haynes manual