What causes threads to disappear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am aware of threads going to a place requiring lock down, but what causes them to disappear ? A couple that I've been following didn't seem to be going down that road.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: What causes threads to disappear?

The only ones that seem to disappear are the obvious spam ones. If a thread was pointless to begin with then sometimes it gets completely whacked instead of just locked.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Did they end up on the second page maybe? That's where I had to find the Daytona thread......

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Threads with no new activity don't show using the "What's New" button. So the only way to find is scan the appropriate forum, bookmark the tread if it has info you want to save or search all of iboats forums if you have some keyword/s to use. Not to knock the search function in the forum ( I guess I am because it isn't very good because of the forum program, not iboats fault) but I use a Google search to find things in the forums if the search doesn't work

An example;

I started a thread in 2011 titled "I found my Starcraft". Searching here gives ten pages of results and it drops any search term less than three characters and ten pages is the max. So it isn't found

A Google search "I found my Starcraft site:iboats.com" first on the results list

I hope this helps.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I am aware of threads going to a place requiring lock down, but what causes them to disappear ? A couple that I've been following didn't seem to be going down that road.

No responses maybe ??? slip down the list and eventually in to oblivion !!!

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

If you want to "follow" a thread, just subscribe to it.
In the banner, across from the social media icons, hit the down-scope arrow of "thread tools' and the "subscribe" if you find a thread interesting enough.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Threads with no new activity don't show using the "What's New" button. So the only way to find is scan the appropriate forum, bookmark the tread if it has info you want to save or search all of iboats forums if you have some keyword/s to use. Not to knock the search function in the forum ( I guess I am because it isn't very good because of the forum program, not iboats fault) but I use a Google search to find things in the forums if the search doesn't work

An example;

I started a thread in 2011 titled "I found my Starcraft". Searching here gives ten pages of results and it drops any search term less than three characters and ten pages is the max. So it isn't found

A Google search "I found my Starcraft site:iboats.com" first on the results list

I hope this helps.

The search function gets a lot of knocks that IMO aren't deserved.
It's not perfect, but a far greater weakness is people's original choice of thread title and/or the way they use the search function. Makes searches more problematic.
As often as not the hardware, software, and firmware are all up to the task....it is the "liveware" that comes up short. :D

As an example:

In the example you cited, just for giggles, try the Advanced Search, enter "my Starcraft" as the keywords, quotes ARE needed....and your User Name in that slot.
Returned only one thread, the correct one, in 1.5 seconds. :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

First I will move this thread.......

Now here is what happens to some threads...... There are threads that go bad with fights and arguments and the escalation just keeps going...... those threads will get "zapped" and vanish normally after discussion among the moderation staff. When they become "high maintenance" where the mods are forced to keep a close eye on them they are either closed (Locked up) or zapped (Vanish) from the forum.

We (the moderators) find it best to have them zapped or they lead to bad feelings and fighting that spills over.

Sorry that a thread may have vanished....... consider it for the "greater good".

I know which thread you are talking about and yes, it was zapped. I will close this one now.

Status
Not open for further replies.