What can you tell me? 1949 Johnson 10

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking to possibly purchase a 1949? Johnson 10hp. I dont know much about the engine. These are the specifics: 1949 model Qd-10 Ser. 748920.
Is it actually a 10? Twin cylinder?
Also it comes with a pressurized tank. It hasnt been run since 1998 but it looks to be in pretty good condition. Anything to watch out for? were they reliable?
I have a 1968 Johnson 6 that seems like a good motor that I have been using for a few years but this one seems alot older.
Thanks for any input.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: What can you tell me? 1949 Johnson 10

Could be a 49 or 50, but yes it's a 10 twin. Parts are going to be a problem. They changed magnetos around 1953 and those parts are still easy to get. Yours not so much. But they are good solid motors. I hope you have good luck with yours. :)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yes, parts are a problem. The coils that year were terrible. They all melted. They were obsoleted around 40 years ago. The only way to get around it is to adapt something else to work in there. If it was ran in 1998, somebody must have done something.

The other oddball is the carburetor. Going to be tough to get anything for that one.

Somebody just sold 3 water pump housings for it on e-bay. I was tempted to grab them, but didn't.

Are they reliable? Yes they were in 1949. Still can be if everything is working right.

wimshurst08

Recruit

how do you remove the center steering section on a QD-11 after the power head and lower unit have been removed?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Hoo boy, it has been a long time since I've done that. The basics are remove the two screws at the lower end of the exhaust housing. Not sure if the ex hsg will then drop off, or if the front carrying handle and pivot tube has to come up and out first. Whatever, something will probably be corroded and stuck. Is that why you are taking it apart in the first place?

BTW, if you want/need more advice, please start a new thread. This one is ancient and different topic.