What can stop a sawzaw?

Florida

Seaman
I've heard that thieves are cutting the transoms off of boats and letting the motor fall into the bed of a truck. It takes less than 15 minutes to steal a motor.
What can stop a sawzaw? I was thinking of something like chainsaw chaps. These chaps blow up into a ball of fiber that binds the chain. Any ideas on how to stop a sawzaw?

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What can stop a sawzaw?

Frankly, if they have the right blades, I doubt anything will stop a sawzall... I have seen time and again demonstrations where one blade company (Lenox) has a guy who cuts cars, trucks, tractor trailors, and MORE in TWO with these things. My guess is they are using rechargeable ones so enough metal in the way might slow them down.....:confused:

Last edited:

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

If they really want it, they will take it.

It's just a matter of slowing them down or making it more difficult and hoping they find an easier target.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Nothing will stop a determined thief. It will just depend on the amount of damage left behind ........... years ago when car stereo's were getting stolen....... thieves were doing more damage to a car's dash then the stereo was worth.

Park your boat near boats with bigger and nicer motors....... maybe the temptation of something nicer will lure them aside. The other best thing you can do is INSURANCE.

Stop a sawsall......... have a live 7500 volt powerline routed inside your transom.

Florida

Seaman

My fault, a reciprocating saw is the best term.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

oh, a 40 caliber comes to mind.....45 is fairly proficient too but kicks like a mule, I bet even a 38 could get it done. To be completely honest we use sawzalls everyday at work, I don't know anything that can stop them with the right blade, I have used them to cut 1/2" plate steel. They will take a transom out in about 2 minutes I'll bet and Like I said the only thing that I think will stop them from steeling my motor is me......or my dog.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

I've heard that thieves are cutting the transoms off of boats and letting the motor fall into the bed of a truck. It takes less than 15 minutes to steal a motor.
What can stop a sawzaw? I was thinking of something like chainsaw chaps. These chaps blow up into a ball of fiber that binds the chain. Any ideas on how to stop a sawzaw?

That is a genius idea and probably your best bet.

For those not familiar with this cloth, it is specifically designed to foul any moving item it comes into contact with. Once these very strong fibers are exposed via cutting, they are sucked in and force the saw to stop.

This could actually work. Whether or not it is worth your time, money, and ingenuity vs the risk of theft is debatable. Neat idea though. I bet a company that manufactures the protective clothing utilizing this technology could tell you if it will stop a recip saw as effectively as it stops a chain saw. Shoot 'em an email to find out.

dwco5051

Commander

A piece of pipe embedded horizontally in the transom with a smaller steel rod inside. Any one who has done a lot of pipe sawing has at one time or another ran into a pipe with a smaller diameter pipe inside. After cutting into the outside pipe the inner pipe if loose will just roll back and forth and not be cut.

scanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I too have LOTS of practice with one! You might wanna try puttin a Stainless Steel or Hardened chain from the motor to theTrailer when ya park it. The Stainless is really hard to cut. It'll take em forever cause you have to cut it SLOWLY. Also the chain has to be held still for the blade to work, & if you hold it, while cuttin, it gets REAL HOT!

Also, put one of these in the yard, or on the boat, when ya park!:D

http://readytodefend.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=35

OR, you can put stainless cables in that pipe! If it won't stay still, a saws-all won't cut it!

scanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would someone post a link to that miracle cloth, please? I'd like to see that stuff. Thanks.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Who are you guys kidding. Anything as hard or harder than the blade will stop it. Carbide, hardened steel, another sawzall blade....

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

A piece of pipe embedded horizontally in the transom with a smaller steel rod inside. Any one who has done a lot of pipe sawing has at one time or another ran into a pipe with a smaller diameter pipe inside. After cutting into the outside pipe the inner pipe if loose will just roll back and forth and not be cut.

Man you should be banned for letting that secret out! I don't think I have ever cussed so much when I ran into this exact issue! Great idea!

scanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOW! INCREDIBLE STUFF! I had no idea a chainsaw could be stopped so fast!
Thanks for the link, I've already made everyone in the house watch that vid!:D OK, they're all aggrivated now, but, oh well... Anyway I really don't think it'll stop a sawzall from operating, but it just might stop the blade from cuttin, as long as it's free to move around. A sawzall will cut just about anything that won't move, IF they have the right blades, & enough of em. I've even cut small bits of concrete while tryin to cut off electrical conduits at the slab so we could make em "disappear" so others could lay floor tile!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

WOW! INCREDIBLE STUFF! I had no idea a chainsaw could be stopped so fast!
Thanks for the link, I've already made everyone in the house watch that vid!:D OK, they're all aggrivated now, but, oh well... Anyway I really don't think it'll stop a sawzall from operating, but it just might stop the blade from cuttin, as long as it's free to move around. A sawzall will cut just about anything that won't move, IF they have the right blades, & enough of em. I've even cut small bits of concrete while tryin to cut off electrical conduits at the slab so we could make em "disappear" so others could lay floor tile!

I think the only thing wrong with those chaps is they don't come with a new pair of underwear for the guy that uses them as intended!

scanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think the only thing wrong with those chaps is they don't come with a new pair of underwear for the guy that uses them as intended!

No need for underwear... They'd get sucked up anyway!:D:D:D

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

spring steel will slow them down, dulls the crp out of cheap blades, and can be bought in 4 inch wide strips.