What can I expect from zodiac?

burnboyy

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 16ft larson fiberglass with an 85hp merc that really flys on the water. The motor is out of commision at the moment and has me contemplating getting a 10"2 Fiberglass hull zodiac. The boat is rated for 10hp which is just enough to make my 16ft'r go 7mph, already have a nice motor for a zodiac if i buy one, i'm wondering if i can hit the islands about 7miles from here effectivley in a zodiac. Anyone have any input or suggestions?

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What can I expect from zodiac?

I have been looking into the Zodiacs for awhile now. <br />The Zodiacs range very much in what each can do. Some of the faster models can really move. I have a difficult time being on the ocean in a small craft. Could you do it - probably, the Zodiac boats do work well for yacht dingies and many other things. When yachts have problems the Zodiac has been there many times to bring people to safety. My preference in this situation would be to go for at least a 14 foot Zodiac, a little larger engine, and I would probably travel with another boat if I was going to islands 7 miles out - just in case either one had a problem. Having a cell phone or two in a waterproof containers and marine radio would be good too.<br /><br />What types of waves are you talking about? I surely wouldn't want to be out in a storm, and I hear those are fairly common there.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

You are going to need a lot of portable tanks to do a run like that.Not something to be doing in a 10 ft. boat.

burnboyy

Seaman Apprentice

well ended up get a yachtline model 310. It is 10'2 and is rated for a 15hp engine. Now i just need an engine and i will be able to see how fast it goes. As for island trips i've done them many times in my 16ft larson, which many people said was crazy, we get huge waves sometime but they are usually not cappin, more like swells, long as the boat can do 25mph i would do an island trip, anyhow got the boat for $800 and it was barely used as a yacht tender

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This boat can carry a good amount of weight for its size. However, there isn't a lot of room in it because of the wide tubes. It's a stable boat and that seems like a good price. If waves are an issue you could make a cover to put over the gear which would help the waves sheet off.

burnboyy

Seaman Apprentice

I have waterproof or (willy peter) bags from when i was in the Marines, planned on securing all the gear inside those, I know i would have a wet ride if it got rough, but i think it would be hard to roll this little boat, I think the hardest part might be staying in it in rough water

CaptAlfex

Cadet

That is a good price burnboyy. A 15 HP on that boat should get u at least 15 MPH with 2 people. Planing should start around 10 MPH. I get 1 GPH with my 12' inflatable. I carry a 6 gallon tank and do about 30 miles in 3 hours using half a tank. Cruising speed is 15 and tops out at 18 MPH. That should be plenty for island hopping. <br /><br />See video to see what a RIB can do with more HP.<br /> http://raid.wsa.net.uk/video.htm <br /><br />Too bad RIBs never made it in the States.

dorian_garson

Recruit

I?ve never owned or piloted a boat, but I?m excited about making day trips with my two young daughters to the islands from Anacortes ? closer ones, like Cypress, James, and Burrows. I?d like a boat that I can easily handle on my own, carry in the back of my small SUV, and pull up onto the beaches.

I?m thinking about a Zodiac Zoom 310 S with a 5HP engine:

http://inflatableboats.iboats.com/Z...*****.830978099--store_id.370--view_id.481622

If we travel with good weather, will we still be happy and mostly dry at the end of the day? Would an 8HP engine make a big difference?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

-Dorian