What bolts or studs to use on a vortec 5.7 exh manifold?

Bill with a seaswirl

Seaman Apprentice
I'm having trouble finding a dealer that stocks the manifold bolts. I have the Sierra manifolds new in box with the gaskets. (Vortec 5.7 Volvo center rise style) tried to find them on this site in the parts category. 18-8550 kit?

Any one have a length and bolt grade recommendation? I have a great hardware store in town. Also washer style? Flat with a lock washer behind it?

Torque specs I can find, think I saw a sequence here somewhere. Funny that the risers come with new bolts and gaskets but the manifolds don't come with bolts. Go figure. Thanks in advance!'

Bill with a seaswirl

Seaman Apprentice
Does this help?

It gets me in the right direction. Exhaust elbow kit 18-1997 is probably it. Elbow kit, who would have thought? Meant 18-8536. That # punched into the parts search failed for me. I'm on a tablet right now, I'll use a real computer in the am.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
to bolt the manfolds to the heads, I use grade 5 or grade 8 bolts from my bin. they are 3/8-16, about 4" long. no need to pay for someones over-priced hardware and have it shipped to you. the stuff you get in the bin at ACE, Tractor Supply, Fleet Farm, Fastenal, Endries, or your local true value harware store will be just fine as it will be itdentical.

yes, grade 5 or 8, zinc plated, then paint the heads if you want them to match. do not use stainless, your exhaust manifolds will fall off into the bilge, when the bolts break off in the holes

Bill with a seaswirl

Seaman Apprentice
Got some grade 5 from the local hardware store. Flat and lock washers too. A nice coating of anti seize will keep them from rusting out before the manifolds 😜