What are the regs regarding a flag ski flag holder?

imported_Captain Morgan

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a 17' ski/fish boat. It's my first boat. I have two daughters (3 and 5). I'd like to expose them to waterskiing, wakeboarding, and tubing. Tubing is the plan for now since they are so young. I'm afraid to put them on the tube without an adult at this point. If their mom drives and I am on the boat with one of the girls, can the other one act as the flag person or do they have to meet a minimum age?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What are the regs regarding a flag ski flag holder?

i think you better check Calif. regs. as ya'll have some strange laws, i don't think there is a age specified in the universal regs, but 3 seems awfully young. keep it slow while exposing them to the sport the first times, they will tell you when to speed up. if not you will scare them and they will never try it again. over the years i taught probably 200 kids to ski.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Check with the local water police. Here in VT there is a minimum age for a watcher is age 12. So, a legal person at the controls and a legal observer..... funny there is no legal requirement on the skier/tuber. I just picked this up on the net...

California law requires a water-ski observer (who is not the boat operator) onboard. The observer must be at least 12 years old. Water skiers must wear a U.S.C.G. approved life jacket.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

California Regs Online (note that all persons towed, not just skiing, must wear a PFD):
WATER-SKIING
When using a boat to tow a person on water skis or an aquaplane, there must be in the boat, in addition to the operator, one other person who can observe the person being towed. The observer must be at least 12 years of age. Effective January 1, 2001, California law provides that any person being towed behind a vessel must wear a Coast Guard-approved Type I, II, III, or V life jacket. Exceptions: the law does not apply to performers engaged inprofessional exhibitions, official regattas, marine parades, or tournaments. Any person engaged in slalom skiing on a marked course, or barefoot, jump or trick water skiing, may instead wear a wetsuit designed for the activity and labeled by the manufacturer as a water ski wetsuit. However, for each skier who elects to wear a wetsuit, a Type I, II, III, or V life jacket still must be carried on board. Note: Inflatable personal flotation devices are not approved for usewhile water-skiing. The towing of water-skiers from sunset to sunrise is prohibited by state law. Local laws may also restrict skiing at certain times during the day and in certain areas. Water skis and aquaplanes must not be operated in a manner to endanger the safety of persons or property. Passing the towline over another vessel or skier is prohibited. Towing a skier or navigating between a vessel and its tow is prohibited. Towing a skier does not give the operator of the vessel any special privileges. The rules of the road must be observed. Skiers being towed are considered to be persons on board for personal flotation device requirements. For more information on water-skiing, send for the free pamphlet titled “Safety Hints for Water-Skiing” from the Department of Boating and Waterways.
W A T E R - S K I F L A G
It is mandatory for the operator of a vessel involved in
towing a skier to display, or cause to be displayed, a red
or orange water-ski flag, to indicate:
■ A downed skier
■ A skier in the water preparing to ski
■ A ski line extended for the vessel
■ A ski in the water in the vicinity of the vessel
The flag must be no less than 12 inches on each side and
be in the shape of a square or rectangle. The display of the ski flag does not in itself restrict the use of the water, but when operating in the area, boaters should exercise caution.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

SHE should be cute as heck.
SHE should have a great body, and show it off in a great swimsuit.
SHe should be under 35, preferably under 25.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I think right between 25 and 35. Got that Soccer mom thing goin' on . . .

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

roscoe said:

All in favor of this amendent say AYE............. AYE AYE..:love:

calwldlif

Petty Officer 1st Class

roscoe said:

;)

I think a 1 piece bikini is a mandate

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I'm all for it!! AYE!!8)

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

1.gif
You guys just aint right.
mrs_eusa_naughty.gif

imported_Captain Morgan

Seaman Apprentice

roscoe said:

Well my 3 and 5 year old daughters both qualify as "cute as heck" and are both "under 35". You may want to be more specific what you are looking for.