Wet sanding?

play2win

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Checkmate with black/silver metalflake paint that is shot. I had every intention of stripping and repainting until....I wet sanded a tiny portion of boat, and polished - what a difference! What I need to know is exact protocol and sequential steps on how to do this properly. What grit, clear-coating, proper steps, etc.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Wet sanding?

Did you try compound and a polishing wheel yet.It may be all you need and it is waaaaaay easier than wet sanding.Especially since the last thing you do after wet sanding is compounding with a polishing wheel.Charlie

play2win

Seaman Apprentice

Definetly tried all waxing and compound solutions. And I mean all of them. Wet sanding has to be the way to go, I'm assuming

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

standard wetsanding procedure is 600, then 1000. some people go finer, but really, 1000 scratchs can be buffed out of anything very easily.. maybe 1200 if thats all thats available. i generally do any "cutting" with the 600, then 1000 enough to remove the 600 scratchs..<br /><br />a good lacquer compound on a quality wool padded rotary buffer. most will be orange. you can use a white clearcoat compound, its just finer and not as aggressive, will take a little longer. we use 3M superduty...<br /><br />then a polish/glaze. Finesse It from 3M is a standard most like..<br /><br />have fun :) <br /><br />btw Johnny, i would never dismiss any procedure and use the metal polishs often on alum intakes, etc.. i would just say that in my experience, sure it may look good for a while, but if you don't physically remove the dead gel it will always return at some point.

play2win

Seaman Apprentice

I will go out and purchase some fine grit paper. I used 300 on a small spot, and it seemed to look great. Should I wet sand by hand? After the wet sanding process, compounding, and glazing, do I then have to apply a clear coat to it? Will that make it shinier, give it enhanced durability?? I'm sure that the top of boat is a lost cause. It was black, and is now greyish. I can barely see any metalflake left, what does this mean? Do I have to sand down to glass, and re-paint, or clear? Can I do a metalflake paint job on top. Will it be impossible to match bottom? The sides and bottom are mint. I know, so many questions - I would love some answers. Basically, if the paint on the top is shot (or at least I think it is), what do I have to do to make it what it once was again? Thank you, Michael

LubeDude

Admiral

Ryoken, "PaintDude" Tell him like it is, You be the Man. Ill stick to oil. :D

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Johnny, <br /><br />feel free to explain to me why not removing the dead gel mechanically and only a compound will retain a shine. it is after all, just a form of compound, does it really remove the dead gel or just shine it real well? i'm seriously all ears and always open to new procedures, but i generally like to hear the whys and reasoning of trying something else..<br /><br />and just because i didn't jump all over your process like it was sliced bread doesn't make me some bad guy here or a pro who knows everything. i'm just here to try and help some folks out as i'm sure you are. feel free to bail but dont put that on me if your not willing to debate your procedures..

LubeDude

Admiral

Ifn ya dont sand off the dead stuff first, ya just got shinny dead stuff. :p :p

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hehe, shiny dead things are a bad thing usually. :eek: unless of course its some nice fish ya just caught. ;)

flashback

Captain

Play2win, Ryoken is on the money, would like to add one more thing when sanding, use a rubber sanding block, not just your hand, and also keep the water running from the hose if possible. you can use a bucket of water and keep dipping the paper but that does not work as good. the objective is to keep the paper clean and keep the grit off the boat.. don't go any deeper than you have to but get all the oxidized finish off. have fun........

BillP

Captain

If hand sanding, do it at 45 degree angles (like crosshatching). Use the longest block/pad you can fit. Several different sizes are better. This keeps the surface true and prevents dishing. That's one of the techniques that separates the pros from the rest.

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

play2win,<br /><br />excellent tips from Bill & Flash... one other little one for you. a rubber squegee is invaluable when wetsanding.. hit an area, rinse, squegee area,dry/clean. this will give you a visual of the area and if it needs more sanding..

play2win

Seaman Apprentice

OK, are all you guys done, who won the pissing contest? What will a clear-coat do for me? When does one use it? I read in a book, that I should paint the top black, add a coat of clear, while it is gelling, add metalflakes, and then re-clear after the first coat dries, is that right? So, if I can get back shine on the sides through wet-sanding, compounding, and polishing, no clear is needed? If the top is shot, if I wet-sand it, I then put a clear-coat on after it is dried - and my black comes back to life? I have no metalflake on top anymore, is that an indication that is must be painted and cleared?

flashback

Captain

Playtowin, I guess things did get a little heated, personally, I don't have a problem with Johnnybigrig's methods, I have never tried them so I can't comment, but If you don't have any metallic left on the top of the boat, then all this buffing and such is a waste of time... you need to re-paint or re-gel or re-coat or what ever.....good luck on what ever you decide...

Hooty

Rear Admiral

"The World Is Flat" group.<br />That knocked me out. :D <br />I realized I was "out experted" a while back so now I just read this forum.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

BillP

Captain

johnnybigrigger,<br /><br />Lighten up dude, the original poster asked about sanding/polishing and the replies were appropriate. <br /><br />There's more gelcoat knowledge here than you give credit for. Had you bothered to research and use the correct "auto" compounds your results would have been A1 and taken no longer than "bars" on 5 yr old gelcoat. But, a hull sitting 5 yrs in tropical sun isn't what most consider bad either. Your friend doing warranty work obviously isn't working old weathered gelcoat...try getting the life back into 20 yr old gelcoat without sanding. Sure it can be done without sanding but it isn't faster or easier...even when using a high speed wheel. <br /><br />Gelcoating in "about the same time as painting". Read my lips..."It ain't gonna happen."<br /><br />Gone with the wind.