Wellcraft 170 Classic -89 full restoration

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wellcraft 170 Classic -89 full restoration

Yes, WellCrafted would be good. That means Good Craftsmanship and Something that's Well made. That sure describes your work on this Boat!!!!

1wc.jpg

zool

Captain

Wellcrafted is just clever enough to not cause brain fog....and appropriate for an Iboats Wellcraft resto ;)...looking good Jussi!

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I think I'll name her "WellCrafted" ;)

Yesterday I got some goodies from Germany, DeVilbiss FLG-5 + pressure regulator/gauge. :p

002 (16).jpg

And today I got the boat primered

004 (18).jpg005 (18).jpg

Tomorrow light sanding with 400 grit paper and then white urethane paint. Sunday red paint :) Would you sand it wet or dry? :)

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Paint always needs something to bite into so, I'd sand between coats. I'd recommend wet sanding with 320 grit, then a final wipe down with Paint Thinner before shooting the next coat.

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I didn't get the painting finished this weekend like my plan was. Still need to paint the sides with red, the boat is now painted white and the cap is red, it is ready :) Man it was a PITA to cover :D I hope the weather stays good until I get the painting ready!

003 (16).jpg
The yard was irrigated with water to prevent dust flying in to paint.
004 (19).jpg
Before and after :)
Veneprojekti syksy-12-kevät-13 023.jpg025 (7).jpg

Attachments

• 012 (11).jpg
    012 (11).jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 1

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, well I got couple "tears" to the final coat, because I thinned the paint very thin, so that the finishing wouldn't be "orange", but they are quite easily removed, water sanding 1000,1500,2000 grit paper and polishing and you'll never know they were even there :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I won't be long and you'll be on the water and all this hard work will be long forgotten!!!!!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Beautiful looking paint work!
You have done a very nice job!
Congratulations!

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Damn... Fall has came in Finland... It is raining every single day and the sides still needs to be painted red... but what can you do when you work outside... If the rain doesn't stop soon, I'll have to carry her to the DUSTY shed and paint there...

Does anyone have an idea where could I get a Alpha one transom template? I need to re-drill the holes since I patched them all with PB when I fixed the transom hull...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Last edited:

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you guys!! I thought I'd replace the mounting bolts also. Should they be stainless steel or just galvanized?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I believe the originals were galvanized but, SS never hurts!!!!

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Today was sunny day so I decided to paint the sides. That was a mistake. The painting went well and the surface was nice and glossy. I got the painting ready at 3pm. The paint dried and it was already dried so much that you could touch it. Then it happened, maybe 7pm suddenly the other side started to get MATT!!! First it was a 10x10 inch area and it expanded to 50x20 inch area!! I think the humidity made this happen... I am so pissed off and frustrated right now... Does anyone have experience of this kind of issue? Can I save the surface with wax and polishing or do I need to re-paint the boat???:facepalm:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Any change in your paint chemicals or formula?? What were the Temps when you shot the paint. How long were the temps at acceptable levels. What was the humidity??

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, no changes in the paint mixtures. I used the same recipe when I painted the cap. Well I might put a little bit hardener now, when the temps were colder. What do you mean by formula?

Temps were about 65 fahrenheit when I shot the paint and when I noticed the matt-problem it was maybe 55 fahrenheit. Humidity was 75 when I was shooting and I think it was 80 at the evening.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Formula meant % of ingredients but it sounds like you did it all the same. Temps are a bit cool, but humidity was good. A bit perplexing...I like to Paint when I know the temps are gunna be 70 Fahrenheit for at least 4 solid hours. You may have to sand and shoot again. Solly Cholly!!!!!

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Today I tried carefully with regular car wax to polish the matt-area. Good news, the glossy came back! I didn't wax the whole area, just a little spot because I wanted to know is there anything I can do to it. I thought, I'd wait couple weeks, so the paint will be cured, then detail it with a rotary polishing machine. I think it'll be fine! I HOPE! The painting wouldn't be a problem if it was summer, but now the circumstances are just too poor to paint outside, next week the weather gets even more chilly... If I must, it has to do next spring.