weld or not

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I replaced the togue on my trailer to fix the surge brakes. The old togue was completely welded welded on, no bolts. Ihad to cut it off with a grinder and drill holes to bolt the new one on. From what i can tell, the togue shouldnt be welded. Any advice, am I good with just the bolts?

oldjeep

Admiral
If you bolt it, make sure that the material is strong enough to handle the load where it is bolted. With thick metal either is fine, with thin metal the weld spreads out the force more.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The best thing about welds are they don't work loose. Bolts can and have worked loose with the bouncing and vibrations trailering anything. So I will vote weld if you have the ability!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I like to bolt them on, just for the reason you found out, if you have to remove it, it takes a grinder to remove it, just make sure the new one you bolt one is rated correctly for the load you intend to tow.

Thalasso

Commander
This is how you want to do it. Notice the plate and wedges at the bolt heads so they go straight through.( not at an angle)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just remember, any bolted joint is only as good as the quality of the hardware. So don't go cheap on the nuts and bolts or lock washers. Huge difference between lower grade hardware and higher grade with their shear strength!

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks guys, I will leave it as is, if in the future I need to rebuild or replace it, I can without cutting it off.
I used 1/2in ss bolts and nuts, it should be good.

bigdee

Commander
Thanks guys, I will leave it as is, if in the future I need to rebuild or replace it, I can without cutting it off.

You should be fine....bolts or rivets on structural steel if done correctly is generally superior to welding!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Just make sure you use the proper grade stainless bolt.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I dont know what grade bolts they are. I threw away the pakage. What grade should be used?
I picked them up at Lowes. 2 Bolts were over 11 bucks.

NYBo

Admiral
I wouldn't trust stainless steel bolts from Lowes. If you check out the chart MTboatguy linked, you will see that the ratings for them vary widely. Get at least Grade 5 bolts.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have never had any problems with Home Depot or Lowes bolts, they are the same company bolts that Fastnal sells, never have had any of them break unless I did something stupid, I will still check out the chart and learn a bit about grading bolt and shear strength when it comes to bolts.

Thalasso

Commander
Stainless bolts have less strength then steel

read boatguys link

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
When it comes to bolts, some of them in the higher grades are good an strong, but they can also become brittle and snap easier than a lower grade bolt. I learned a ton about strength when my father worked at a machine shop and why sometimes higher grade is not better for the particular job you are working on.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thank you for the link.The bolts I bought are not on the list. At the bottom of the bolt it reads THE and the other end of the head it reads F5S3C. Maybe its a grade 5?

Last edited:

sportrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
on anything steering or suspension, braking system (I'd throw the tongue in this category) I'd use minimum of grade 8 sae or 10.9 metric.