Supreme Mariner
Re: Weirdest thing you ever seen on the water?? :p

summer.......2009......kalamalka lake kelowna B.C Canada

randomsummerpicsandboatwerx016.jpg

randomsummerpicsandboatwerx015.jpg

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Once saw tandem skiers (Guy and a Girl) wearing nothing but skis and Cat in the Hat, Hats.:eek::eek:

wingmastr23

Petty Officer 1st Class

I saw a religious group swimming in the Mississippi River - Girls were in full dresses and the guys were wearing jeans and long sleeve shirts......I can't believe they didn't drown!

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Maybe not wierd, but definately amusing...26-28' cabin cruiser on the wrong side of a buoy with four guys standing around it in ankle deep mud. Should have taken that safe boating class...:facepalm:

I also saw a couple landing craft coming down the bay one cold morning in December. Looked like they were circa 1940's and were putting out a TON of white smoke. We actually thought they might have been testing some sort of smoke screen...

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer

I like Tug's BBQ on Lake Travis, a floating BBQ joint. They even have a little john boat with a trolling motor that comes around and takes your order back to the big boat in Devil's Cove.

fishrdan

Admiral

I saw a dead kid floating down the river once. I was tooling along and something caught the corner of my eye so I looped around. I have to admit it was kind of a disturbing to see something like that at 1am in the morning, no one else around, pitch black. I guess he was probably playing around and slipped off a cliff further up river, couldn't climb back out and well,,, you get the picture.

I thought about calling the park rangers, but that would have been a huge hassle, 1am, nobody around, trying to explain my story... I certainly wasn't going to touch it (something might fall off or it might spring to life and bite me) so I just left it there and let nature take it's course. Disturbing as it was, I didn't let this ruin my fishing trip.This might seem heartless, but what could have I done, really? I figure that something in the river would eventually take care of it, maybe even a cougar or coyote?

Oh yeah, this was a little desert big horn sheep (kid) :D

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh yeah, this was a little desert big horn sheep (kid) :D

nice one, had me going...

I stumbled across 2 giant alligator snapping turtles mating in the sante fe river (FL). We were in a canoe and my buddy in the bow was scared, so i slowly approached with the trolling motor and he was absolutely freaking out. I had a video from my phone somewhere, this makes me want to find it. These things were honestly 5 ft diameter. I never realized they got that big! looked like dinosaurs...

thesledhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well I think its normal after doing it for the past 6 or 8 years but I still get a lot of looks every time I break the sled out at the cabin
canon 180.jpg
canon 201.jpg :eek:

thesledhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice! What kind of speed do you get with that?

well I never clocked it but its enough to smoke any jetski and when I hold down the nos button it'll smoke most boats :D

thesledhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like Tug's BBQ on Lake Travis, a floating BBQ joint. They even have a little john boat with a trolling motor that comes around and takes your order back to the big boat in Devil's Cove.

NICE. we are going to be down there in late march, will it be out yet???

QC

Supreme Mariner

Oh yeah, this was a little desert big horn sheep (kid)
Dannnng, got me too. I was reading this thinking, "and I thought I liked that guy" . . . :facepalm:

My weirdest one that has come to mind so far was also a night river boating + animal experience . . .

Colorado River between Parker and Blythe, Aha Quinn is the name of the resort. We used to power upriver at night and shut off and float down and star gaze. I used to even shut the lights off as there was literally nobody on the water and you could've heard a canoe it was so dead quiet at night. Long time ago and you guys can beat me up on that later . . . The river banks in some spots had bushes and reeds all the way down to the water and you couldn't see anything on shore at some points. We heard a bunch of rustling behind the bushes as we were floating along. And a few grunts, but couldn't figure out what it was although it sounded big. We were all kind of scared at this point, and we're all staring into the bushes and the rustling is getting louder and the grunts too when a flippin' cow literally falls into the river right next to us as we floated by. There was another cow standing there where the bushes parted and that one had just pushed the now wet one in . . . :eek:

Oh, and I've had the snake thing happen at Havasu near Copper Canyon (pastie thing too, but that's just an everyday thing at Havasu). Sucker was trying to climb into the boat, women screaming, same, same . . .

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

Not exactly in the water but certainly right next to it, literally and figuratively.

Place: Lake Novillo in the state of Sonora in Mexico just a few yards from the ruins of the old San Francisco Xavier de Batuc church (built about 1743 and inundated in the early 1960s when the lake was formed by the construction of a dam).

Time: Somewhere over twenty five years ago.

Set Up: The lake had been up for the better part of a year, covering the ruins of the church and the surrounding site of the old town of Batuc, but had fallen to where the church was exposed and was now fifty yards or so from the shore of the lake.

What: I was walking along just messing around, the day before we intended to come back to the States, when I noticed some bones kind of scattered over a small area between the church and the water. I noticed they were colored red, but didn't think much about it. Since this is an isolated area with lots of livestock and wildlife, I assumed they were animal bones.

I picked up one or two bones, looked at them and tossed them aside. Then I picked up the pelvis and one of the long bones . I pretty quickly realized this was one weird animal judging from the way the pelvis and long bone were shaped and fit together. Then it dawned on me. Holy Shirt! This thing looked suspiciously like a human pelvis and thigh bone. Then I begin to look closer at the other bones and, although they were all stained red, it began to look more and more like a human skeleton. As near as I could tell this thing was nearly complete. The one thing that wasn't in evidence was a skull. But, skull or no, these bones were almost certainly human.

I figured they were either an old Indian burial that had washed out of the ground there or were from a recent body that had floated in and rotted while the water was higher. I didn't know whether to notify the Mexican authorities or to mind my own business and get the hell away from there. Finally, I decided that I didn't want to risk having to stay in Mexico while I tried to explain to the state police and/or the Federales how I came to find Senor Fulano, and my exact connection to the dearly departed.

So, I did what my mama would have told me to do: I minded my own business and got the hell away from there. We left for home the next day.

Shortly after I came home the water once more covered the site and when the water went back down there was no trace of whoever he or she had been. The significance of the red color had me puzzled until several years later when an anthropologist explained to me that the local Indians of old often covered the bodies with red ocher before burying them. When the flesh decayed, the ocher soaked into the bones and stained them red.

ziggy

Admiral

thought of a couple more odd sights i've seen on the river...

seen me one of them ampicar's once. that was pretty wild to see.

the other sight i've seen that was noteable was acutally not in the water, though it was supposed to be..

http://www.omahariverfront.com/galleries/2005/0807boatrecovery/pic6.htm

i went by that on my way up river on a saturday. came back sun. and it was gone... :eek:
looks like sugar hawii rescued her.. drug her right off her perch... :eek: this seemed to me like one of them times that the idea of just because ya can afford a expensive boat, don't make ya a skipper.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

summer.......2009......kalamalka lake kelowna B.C Canada

randomsummerpicsandboatwerx016.jpg

randomsummerpicsandboatwerx015.jpg

Now, was that guy running his outboard at the time or maybe he was and was already missing his feet :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

FWIW, I have pulled a dead kid out of the water . . . Real one, 16. Thankfully I didn't know him, but damn . . . :(

Also saw the sherrif floating a dead Adult down the Colorado just above Needles. I wouldn't call either of those sights weird though.