weight of mercruiser motor

swampboy

Seaman
I may have to remove my MerCruiser 120 hp engine. I'm trying to hook up a hoist..what does the engine weigh???I've read several threads regarding using various ways to remove the engine. I have a hd folding ladder that I have thought about putting a come-along on to raise the motor. Thanks

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: weight of mercruiser motor

Well, a new 3.0L without all the manifold, etc. weighs 355 lb, so I'd figure on 400 to 500 lb, say 500+ to be safe. No way I'd use a ladder myself. I built a very heavy duty wooden frame when I pulled mine.

havasuboatman

Ensign

A ladder? NO! Bad!
C'mon. Have you NEVER watched those videos on TV or on line? Don't be that guy. Go rent a cherry picker. It isn't very expensive.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

i used engine hoist from the side

swampboy

Seaman

Yes I've seen those home videos. No I'm not ready to be a part of that group. Sorry I even thought of using a ladder. I may not have to remove the engine. The PO had the boat in storage for about 8 yrs. I put some RX fluid down the cyls. and let it stay for a while. Tried to turn it over with starter. It made about 1/4 turn then stopped.I used a pry bar and was able to move the engine about 1/2 turn then it stopped. I didn't force it any further..I'm going to remove the head and check the top ring grove and see if there may be any rust keeping the piston from making a complete rotation. This is a 1966 MerCruiser 120, stern drive. Any Ideas of what I should be looking for??? Thanks.:)

Don?t want to burst your bubble, but it looks as if you may have a hard time ahead. No matter where the crank was last left in the rotation cycle, valves will have been left open. Any moisture (most likely in the form of rain) that got into the carb will have settled in a cylinder, and the longer the engine has sat; the worse will be the damage. This is a common issue with many older 120s/140s that have sat up.

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class

On the other hand, our 1974 Merc 140 sat outside for 2 years and then in a barn for about 3 or 4 more years before we bought it. Got it running, do my own maintenance and give it lots of TLC, and it has been doing great for about 10 years now.

Azlo

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This is how u do it!:cool:

only spent $149.99 harbor freight.:rolleyes:
Easy to use, nice and foldable and out of the way.

I wish wife's were like that!!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1

swampboy

Seaman

Thanks for info engine hoist. I'm just a short distance from the Harbor Freight in Fresno, ca. I just got a flyer showing foldable 1 ton for $129.99, 2 ton for $179.99. Also they have a 2 ton load leveler for $35.99. I'm not sure how often I will need a hoist. "Just Ask" rental charge $25.00 for 24 hrs. I may be able to construct one saw on www.buckeyemarketinggroup.com/images/picture 033.jpg

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

just borrow one from a friend, but you only need it for a hour in and hour out
but if your boat has high sides might not work unless you remove tires or anothe method but for the hoist to work you need to hook pretty close to engine so load leveler wont help as that will lower engine about 10 -12 in .
and on mine hooked as close as i could was just enough to clear side.

Bondo

Staff member

I may have to remove my MerCruiser 120 hp engine. I'm trying to hook up a hoist..what does the engine weigh???

Ayuh,... You can always Strip it In the boat,... Piece by piece, it ain't that Heavy,....
2 guys can handle the Bare short block...

Azlo

Senior Chief Petty Officer

U wont need the leveler, once the engine is loose it can only go up. They are not like cars where u remove the engine at an angle, marine engine straight up. Bondo is correct, u might have a little trouble clearing after u have raised the engine all the way up. Just let air out of the tires or remove them. I just got on the boat & it went down half an inch, good enough to clear in my case. Get the engine hoist i have use it for other things like the out drive , lifting boat to get to trailer parts, etc. Good luck!!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Has not been mentioned but is the outdrive off already ?
A bad drive will lock up a motor