Way too much oil when removing plugs

akapolas

Cadet
I added my problem on a post that was already created by someone else and I'm not getting much help so I figure I start a new post.

Hello, I have a 1990 Johnson 200HP, I recently removed the VRO tank and mixed the gas my self. I filled up the tank with 33 gallons of fuel, and estimated that there was another 7-10 gallon of oil in the tank. I added one gallon of oil to approximately 40 gallons of gas. I was told a little more oil will not hurt the engine, and it will only smoke a little more.

I start the engine and there is smoke everywhere, it will not idle and once the engine turns off it will not start cause the plugs are full of oil. If I remove and clean the plugs the engine fires right up but the same thing happens all over.

When i took the boat out, the engine was running really ruff at all RPM's but once I exceeded 5K it ran smooth.

Could this be from removing the VRO tank or from the little extra oil I put in the gas?

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Way too much oil when removing plugs

I filled up the tank with 33 gallons of fuel, and estimated that there was another 7-10 gallon of oil in the tank. I added one gallon of oil to approximately 40 gallons of gas.

I assume you meant "7-10 gallons of gas in the tank" :D

40:1 (assuming your measurements were correct) shouldn't be enough oil to foul your plugs ... sounds more like 1 or more cylinders aren't firing properly.

Have you checked your spark for each cylinder? How about compression?

akapolas

Cadet
Re: Way too much oil when removing plugs

Ooops!! correct, 7-10 Gallons of GAS :D

I have not checked spark or compressing. I also have no clue how to do either. I had just about enough and called the dealer but he can't look at the boat for another week or so because he's so busy.

Can I remove the fuel line and place it in a container with properly mixed 50:1 and see if that clears the problem?