Wave impact, whining engine gxi-d 5.7

vermolen

Cadet
Thanks a lot in advance. So... I hit a wave and when I landed my engine started whining. On this forum there are many tips about a high pitch sounding engine, especially for the GXI. I have cleaned the filters, replaced the fuel filter that is known to capture paint residue etc. It still is celan. In neutral when idling there is no issue, but pretty much at all rpm ranges in gear, the higher the louder. Could the impact have loosened something? Where would you start? There is no noticeable loss of performance and no overheating. Many thanks!

vermolen

Cadet
Thanks a lot in advance. So... I hit a wave and when I landed my engine started whining. On this forum there are many tips about a high pitch sounding engine, especially for the GXI. I have cleaned the filters, replaced the fuel filter that is known to capture paint residue etc. It still is celan. In neutral when idling there is no issue, but pretty much at all rpm ranges in gear, the higher the louder. Could the impact have loosened something? Where would you start? There is no noticeable loss of performance and no overheating. Many thanks!
update, someone suggested it may be the cutlass bearing. The prop has no play at all so I do not think that is it?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
could be any number of things. start with checking alignment, oil levels

dubs283

Vice Admiral
If the prop exited the water and you didn't throttle back there may be damage to the running gear

Some efi volvos have very noisy fuel pump assys. Could try unplugging one/both pumps when the whining starts, see if it goes away

vermolen

Cadet
If the prop exited the water and you didn't throttle back there may be damage to the running gear

Some efi volvos have very noisy fuel pump assys. Could try unplugging one/both pumps when the whining starts, see if it goes away
thank you

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you mention cutlass bearing, which is only on pure inboards

do you have a pure inboard, or do you have an I/O?

Inboards would not have a power steering pump (or the lines will be tied together). I/O's will have a power steering pump.

the saginaw pump will whine like crazy at low oil.

the coupler may make some groaning noises, however usually simply fail when low on oil.

if you have an I/O, how is the drive oil level? when was the last time the unit was aligned

vermolen

Cadet
Ok this is solved, many thanks for your help. First of all, I am really dumb. In my defense there are speakers mounted on the engine compartment lid. Also the whining got worse with higher rpms. But I knocked one of the amps lose and it shorted.