Watrer flow on an alpha one gen one

johnbell47

Seaman Apprentice
I have 87 Century with an alpha one, gen one. The lower shift cable was broken, so I pulled it all and did a complete bellows, shift cable, overhaul. I guess I was poor when I ordered the bellows overhaul kit and got to looking at it and the lower water hose was branded, "Lucky Bird" or some silly name, I had a hunk of Goodyear High miler hose that looked like a better deal at the time. I picked the Goodyear. Well after it was all said and done the goodyear had too thin a wall thickness and kinked. I really did not want to pull the whole thing off again and found a stainless steel spring that fit inside the hose, that did take the kink out and the hose looks great. What I am concerend about is this: the inside diamere of the spring measured .515 inches or 1/2 inch. I didnt think too much about it due to the pipe coming out of the water pump is 1/2 inch copper, looks to be regular hard copper tube, which measures the same as the inside of the spring. So, my thinking is that the most flow possible to the engine is through a 1/2 inch I.D. tube. I know the pipe goes from 1/2, to 3/4 then to 1 1/8th inch. I restricted the 3/4 to roughly 1/2 inch. Am I going to have enough flow to the motor. If not, my plan is to go with a crank mount pump and a thru hull. (I can plumb) Actually, the crank mount pump will be easier to change the impeller, Much easier in fact, I can buy a johnson pump on ebay for about 150 bucks and a thru hull for another 50. so, about 200 bucks would fix this if flow is too low. Now, I am up to maybe I would flow too much! a full 1 1/8th plumb will provide a lot of water, I did this on a Chris I had and it worked o.k. even tho it was a full cam pump for a big block. Comments? Appreciate pro assistance.
"

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
still need the impeller in the drive so why not fix it the right way

johnbell47

Seaman Apprentice
Not sure I understand why I would need the impeller in the drive, since I'm picking up water at a through hull strainer. I am new at this and may be missing something, tho. My old inboard with a 5 liter chevy motor worked great with this setup but it was inboard.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
because with an outdrive the incoming water cools the oil in the drive.If you were to do anything direct the drive water thru a thru hull . should your engine driven pump fail you can just rig the drive pump to get back

johnbell47

Seaman Apprentice
Bravo drives pick up water through the motor leg, dont they? How about I pull some water thru the leg to the crank driven pump and some water through a through hull and leave the impeller in the leg out? That way I'm going to cool the gear box and still be able to change an impeller in 10 minutes. The Chris craft had a casale v drive that was water cooled that I just plumbed a line over to. . To be honest, that motor leg is submersed in water and most of the water is directed through the tubes and is not in contact with the gearbox walls anyway, so I dont really see that much heat exchange would take place. Please dont take this as me doubting what you say, I'm just theorizing! thanks!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
from the copper tube the water goes into the right side of the drive, flows around to the left side of the upper housing and then out the hole where the O ring goes

johnbell47

Seaman Apprentice
I got the outdrive rehung this morning and fired it up on the muffs. All went well, it went to 150 and stayed there. I put an auxillary mechanical gauge on it to be sure and shot the whole thing with an IR point and shoot. all was cool! A kink in that dang lower hose will dang sho cut the flo! I still have the question of cutting the cross sectional size of that 3/4 hose down to about 5/8 inch, but my thinking is, that since the copper pipe coming off the WP is 1/2, thats all it can flow anyway. I guess we shall see. Thank you for your able assistance!!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Maximum flow will be determined by the smallest pipe size. You could change all the pipe and hosework to 1/2" and it shouldn't change anything...

Your 1/2" spring is a good idea, that shouldn't hurt anything...

Chris.........