WaterPump Change On a 1987 85HP Force

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First, I want to thank everyone that walked me through getting my lower unit off.<br /><br />I went to the boat store today and purchased the waterpump kit/ with new housing and also a thermostat.<br /><br />I asked the mechanic at the marina about how to install the new waterpump correctly and he told me the following-<br /><br />Grease the impeller and also the inside housing. Slide the impeller down the shaft and then the housing. Rotate the driveshaft clockwise and that will allow the teeth on the impeller to bend in the right direction and get it into the housing.<br /><br />Then he told me to put the lower unit back up and rotate the flywheerl clockwise to align the shaft.<br /><br />IS THIS ALL CORRECT??? What are you thoughts on greasing the inside of the housing and also the impeller.<br /><br />Also, my driveshaft has a few pits of rust on it and he told me to lightly sand the shaft and apply grease.<br /><br />Thanks in advance for your assistance.

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: WaterPump Change On a 1987 85HP Force

One more thing. Do I need to clean the inlet tube that runs up. Not the tube the came with the new housing, but the one it connects to.<br /><br />If so, how do I do this. Can you shoot water up there?<br /><br />Thanks

cinder1995

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes you can spray water up there. And when you're putting the lower unit back on. Try spinning the prop instead of the flywheel. It's alot easier to get to while holding the lower unit. And don't force it back on. I broke my water pump housing by doing that.

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Eric- Thanks <br /><br />What about the grease issue? Should I grease the housing and impeller and shaft?