Waterlogged fiberglass?

Ray Henri

Cadet
Recently purchased a 1970 Sea Ray SRV 150 15.6" fiberglass pleasure boat. Hoping to refurbish. Gutted the inside; removed seats, carpets and side panels. There are holes in the floor where the cleats for the seats were screwed onto the fiberglass floor. When I walk on the floor water seepes out these screw holes.<br />-what would be in the space between the floor and the hull?<br />-if some flotation material what typeor should there be an air lock?<br />-could there be an exit for the water to drain to the bilge?<br />-how would I suck or blow the water out of this cavity<br />I am hoping not to have to drill a hole in the fiberglass but if I have to will do.<br />Is anyone familiar with this situation?

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Waterlogged fiberglass?

More than likely it is flotation foam below the flooring that has become water saturated. I just removed the floor in a project boat that I am working on that had the same problem. (mine's probably worse) There is no way to blow or suck the water out of the foam. It must be replaced. Which means your floor will have to come up. Most old boats did incorporate a drain in the bottom, but once that foam is water logged it is of zero help. The foam I removed from my 21' Larson probably had well over 1000lbs added weight due to all the water it was holding. No kidding. Check out some of the other project boats on this forum and it will give you a good idea of what you looking at.<br /><br />Here is mine...<br /> http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,116,00.html

Ray Henri

Cadet

kfraser<br />Thanks for the reply. Sure looks like you had your work cut out for you.<br /><br />My floor is all fiberglass. Do you think it would be possible to drill 2" or 3" holes through the floor, break up this flotation foam and suck it out.<br />If this were possible, it would eliminate cutting out a slab of fiberglass and replacing it.<br />Perhaps expanding foam could then be inserted to replace the flotation foam and the floor re-sealed.<br />Any comments?

Billnicole

Petty Officer 2nd Class

kfraser thats some project. Keep us updated on it I always like to see these things finished it gives me ideas

Ray Henri

Cadet

kfraser, you were correct on all counts. The wood floor is covered with one layer of fiberglass, the wood floor is rotten and the insulation below it is crumbling and water saturated.<br />I, also, will be following your project with interest. Thanks again.<br />mrh.

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good luck with your Sea Ray MRH. Removing the floor is not to difficult. I used a circular saw set to about 3/4 inch depth and cut all the way around the hull leaving about an inch of floor. This will be ground down with a three inch grinder. Removing the foam was the hard part. The foam is a 2 part mixture that is poured in when the boat is being built and it will adhere to the hull. I had to use a shovel to pry it up from the hull. A chisel and hammer come in handy also. I'll follow up with updates on mine. Would love to see your work in progress also.<br /><br />Kevin Fraser

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

mrh - There are no short-cuts such as sucking it out. The floor has got to go. Quite often that means stringers and transom get added to the project after the floor is up.