water temp issue on 1989 70 HP

racerone

Supreme Mariner
++++++ on the above.----And that is why the service bulletin came out in 1994 on them !!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
SB 2276R1 is the bulletin you want ('94 bulletin I think, as noted). The water pump kit (432955) comes with the bulletin and new pressure relief springs. If you get the bulletin, you will make life better for a lot of listers if you scan it and post it. The only other copy of it I know of here has been lost to the recent photo bucket third party nonsense (along with lord knows how many other archived gems).

I've squirreled away a related thread, which may be of interest: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...re-gauge-issue

In particular, there is a post included from the late Dhadley:

"February 13th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Re: 1992 Evin 90hp Water Pressure gauge Issue

Yep, we use a plastic T (E/J #337594) which is just like the plastic elbow already in your motor. From that elbow the hose goes up & over the starboard side of the block then down to the fitting in the pan.We tap into the water jacket at the highest point of the block, right above #1 cylinder. On a crossflow theres a flat area thats easy to use. We go into the block -- not the head. The hose goes right over that area anyway. Once the T is there we just cut the hose, put one end on each side of the T and youre done.Because of the basic design of the water passages air can be trapped up there. The T gives the air a way to escape. You dont lose any water because the hose is only so big. The pressure remains the same. The only difference you'll see is that on initial start up the water may "spit" for a few seconds then become a steady stream. The "spitting" is the air coming out."

I find this interesting because one option related to the tell tale issue had been to loop the tell tale line from the incoming port on the lower left side, up over the block to an outlet on the lower right side (factory installations too, as I understand it). The discussion suggests a tap in that line on top of the head, releasing air trapped in the water passage (and potentially blocking movement of cooling water, which was the original problem involving the tell tale location).

A number of listers (Flyingscott, Racerone) are well-versed on this issue, and Bosunsmate has done it on his two-cylinder 50 with good success, as I recall. There are undoubtedly other sources as well.

If anyone has a copy of the bulletin, posting it will make you a hero.

Last edited:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
put the new t stat in.....the temps run to 180 on the muffs, at idle, I disconnected the connection for the no oil warning signal...I bought a 90 degree nipple for the relocation of the tell tale...Ill keep the original for the water pressure guage....this weekend ill install the relocation of the tell tale and take the boat out on the water, before I do anything else...

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Good luck with it. Believe I would test temp. with the l.u. submersed first. Use that as a benchmark.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
took the boat out on the lake today...idleing at the launch the temps went to about 182 ish....and for the first 5 minutes of running at 4000 rpm it was still about 180....the at some point it dropped ...almost to 130 then settled about 140....even when I stopped and idled it for a few minutes it stayed at 140.....I have other issues to look at but the water temps settled down..im going to put it on the muffs again now and see if it goes back to 180 idling...at idle ive only got about 5 psi of water pressure , but at 4500 rpm I have about 21 psi...... I drilled and tapped the tell tale port in the new spot... so hopefully it helps in the long run.... I still might do a new water pump just to cover all the bases