Water shutter

weatherz

Seaman
Hello<br />I replaced the water shutters on my 454 / Alpa 1 a while back and when I removed the old ones, the starboard side was only half a shutter. What I'm wondering is if it is stuck in the y pipe or did it make it out somehow. I know that eventually it will wear a hole in the y pipe...if it's in there. Can I use a magnet to try and retreive it, or... any suggestions?

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Water shutter

likely its still there. best way to retrieve it is remove the leg. if you have the exhaust bellows style that doesnt connect at the rear you may not have to pull the leg.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know you have heard this before....a 454 with an alpha 1....talk about pushing a design to it's limits ! Ok, had to say that. While the older "flappers" were metal covered in rubber I think you would do better pushing a remote "claw" down the tube and "fishing for whatever is in there (you know, the flexible handle that has a knob on one end and the three or four claws on the other). I just don't know if a magnet would get it.

weatherz

Seaman

OK, thanks guys. As far as pushing the limits, I have a drive shower and have been using this combination extensively for about 5 years with no problems. Would like to go to a Bravo...when I hit the lottery! But I'm happy so far. I will try the claw if my super mag doesn't work. Ya think it's for sure in there?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Those shutters could be in the drive, the exhaust bellows, or the exhaust Y. They are stainless, so the magnet won't work.<br />Might pull the prop and see if it's in the exhaust passage.

weatherz

Seaman

10-4 Thanks Don, your opinion is invaluable. I feel like your my favorite teacher!