Water Seperator

bassin51

Cadet
I am planning on installing a water seperator on my 115 Rude. Do you have to remove the in line filer, or just leave it there. Also should the bulb be between the tank and filter, or filter and engine. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water Seperator

Not that you asked but I prefer the Mercruiser water/fuel seperator. The primer bulb should be between the seperator and the engine. If the "In Line" seperator you speak of is installed between the tank and engine (not in the engine itself), there's no need for it and should be removed.<br /><br />Plan ahead... Have the water/fuel seperator mounted where the filter can be changed easily.

bassin51

Cadet

The in line filter, is a small filter that is on the fuel line on the engine. Do you think it should be removed.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If the inline filter is the factory equipped filter, under the hood, with the powerhead, leave it there.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Bassin..... I was associated with one marina for many years whereas they had installed many different types of water/fuel seperators. The Mercuriser filter assy did the job that was expected of it and lasted for many years, more so that the other filters.<br /><br />Now this association ended around 1991 but the performance of those filter assemblies stuck in my mind. If any company has surpassed Mercruisers quality, no one has informed me of that fact as of yet.<br /><br />Bottom line is that this is simply my opinion baised on experiences of years past..... and you know what they say about opinions (grin).

bassin51

Cadet

Thanks Joe for your useful information. I will try to locate tht Mercruser filter..

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

I've had real good luck with a Racor cannister type water separator with a clear bowl with drainage valve on the bottom. Actually the clear part isn't a factor since I don't actually visualize water vs. fuel in the bowl - it isn't clear enough! A metal drainage bowl would work just as well, imho. But I've found it handy to be able to drain the filter on a routine basis to avoid any surprises. It's usually only a matter of a couple of ounces of water, which is well within the capacity of the bowl and filter, but at least I know I'm keeping it clear of water. <br /><br />When I first got it, I ignorantly never drained it and eventually the whole filter filled up with water and caused a fuel problem and stopped me in the middle of nowhere with the family on board on a fairly swift river. This was "fairly" easily solved in the field by taking the cannister off, draining it and re-installing it. But you know what a hassel these things are when the family's on board and you're in a swift current! I carry a spare now, but never have the problem anymore because I drain the bowl regularly. Again, the way I work it, the metal bowl would work just as well.<br /><br />This is on an outboard application where the filter is out in the open. I don't believe filters with plastic bowls are appropriate for installations inside a compartment. I don't know about the metal bowls.<br /><br />My old I/O had a Racor cannister filter without drainage bowl. The only maintenance involved was to simply change the filter on whatever schedule made sense for your use and condensation issues. <br /><br />With the drainage bowl types, theoretically, you don't have to change the filter itself if you keep the bowl drained of water, but I change it in the spring anyway. (drain it in the fall before storage to avoid freezing issues).<br /><br />Both these systems definitely do their job in keeping the condensed water out of the carb. I've been very happy with both but prefer the drainage feature after using it for a couple of years.<br /><br />My outboard also has it's normal small in-line filter inside the motor cowling. That stays in place, although, I don't know if anything gets by the cannister filter. I change it every year as well and carry a spare after the incident above.<br /><br />In my experience and opinion, I think water separators should be standard equipment but I know people who think that they're not needed or that Heet can solve all condensation problems.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />DJ