Water separator question

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

I have a 98 225 evinrude and i'd like to add fuel filter/water separator. The motor already has the inline fuel filter on the powerhead. Is there any risk of fuel restriction or the water filter removing oil from the gas causing a lean condition and powerhead failure? I run pre-mix and don't use the VRO. The motor did have another filter at one time where i'm putting the water separator and believe it was just a fuel filter and not water separator but not totally sure. My thinking is the boat is an 81 and always had this filter and back then they didn't have water separators? It had corroded and I put a another inline filter like on the powerhead to avoid running a new line but now deciding on the new water separator instead of this additional plastic filter.

Thanks,
Anthony

gm280

Supreme Mariner
NO the water separator will not remove any premix oils. And NO a water separator will not restrict fuel flow either... But I have to ask what makes you want to install a water separator? Are you having any present issues?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A water separator is very superior to your new inline fuel filter. A water separator will have much better fuel flow and will allow water to collect on the bottom of the separator element, while clean fuel flows to the motor. Water separators are a good idea.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
As long as it a minimum of 20 microns you will be fine as this is same as the inline factory filter, 10 microns is overkill in my opinion....

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys. I'm doing this as more of a preventive thing because of the ethanol. the filter is a 10 micron OMC. Is this no good with the factory fuel filter on the motor?

V153

Lieutenant Commander
See posts 2, 3 & 4 ...

In other words, it'll be fine.