water pump?

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class
Getting my boat ready for the season and i had a drip coming from the front of the front of block, removed water pump but see no evidence of leak, something i should specifically look for? My look auto store has a GM reman pump for good price, is there any difference in pumps between marine and auto? my boat is strictly freshwater.
350 gm engine block.

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: water pump?

If your recirculating pump is leaking I would suggest you bite the bullet and by the marine one. Impeller in marine one wont corrode like one with materials of an automotive one.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The marine version also has a seal that will withstand raw water (They don't rust).

Deese566

Cadet

Hey buddy ,I have to agree with the other replies. A marine circ pump has a stainless steel impellers , ive seen bronz as well. They're not made of stamped steel like a car would have. Automotive pumps operate with for the most part on eng's with antifreeze / coolant flowing through them , an not to mention on eng's that againe for the most part rarely see 3500 to 4500 rpm's. Marine aplications are just built way stronger an more durable. The same holds true for electronics such as starters an alt's. If ya ever get a fuel leak or an eng room full of fumes ,better hope somebody before you didnt try to save a buck an put automotive alt or starter in relpacement of a marine part. They're not hard to replace either. Good luck

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class

Followup- I understand the need for sparkproof electronics with marine applications and it seems like that is by far the biggest difference in applications. I will follow that rule.
On to the waterpump, thru online discounts and buying at one of the larger auto retail shops I can get a new pump with a ceramic seal, probably not a bronze impeller with a lifetime warranty for $25.00. It literally took me 10 minutes to remove pump, considering i am in freshwater application only if i have to replace the pump every 3-5 years would that be such a bad thing?

cr2k

Captain

Maybe not if it was Preventive Maintenance. If it goes out when you are on the water you will think different.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Followup- I understand the need for sparkproof electronics with marine applications and it seems like that is by far the biggest difference in applications. I will follow that rule.
On to the waterpump, thru online discounts and buying at one of the larger auto retail shops I can get a new pump with a ceramic seal, probably not a bronze impeller with a lifetime warranty for $25.00. It literally took me 10 minutes to remove pump, considering i am in freshwater application only if i have to replace the pump every 3-5 years would that be such a bad thing?

When you get your new cheap pump, pull the old one apart, press the steel impeller off the new one and press the cast bronze one onto the new pump, then put the stainless steel backing plate on the new one.... 10 minute job, and you now have a 'marine' pump...

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you get your new cheap pump, pull the old one apart, press the steel impeller off the new one and press the cast bronze one onto the new pump, then put the stainless steel backing plate on the new one.... 10 minute job, and you now have a 'marine' pump...

I was thinking about that but was concerned about distorting any of the parts in doing so.

And to address the other issue about being stuck on the water, in 45 years of doing repair work i have never seen a water pump present a catastrophic failure, usually slow leak starts first or bearing noise. again this is not ocean going, i'm talking about frshwater lake, i don't think it's a big concern.