Water Pump Woes

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Water Pump Woes

Bump^^^ Anything new fishallot?? I'm real curious about this one.

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know everyone is throwing ideas at you, but I was just wondering how you would go wuth the L/U off and with your hand over the water tube outlet and the muffs/hose on. Where would the water come from then ? That would eliminate the drive shaft seal question and also W/P housing gasket ??

Fishallot

Seaman

I haven't had a chance to fire the motor back up since the last time I put the lower unit back on. Between the fishing show I was at, easter and all the rain we're having I just haven't had a chance to mess with it. I did talk to 3 or 4 outboard mechanics at the fishing show I attended and they all seem to think that I'm not lining up the water tube when I slide the lower unit back on. They all said that Mercs are a bear to get up in there right. It just seems to me that as tight as the space is where the water tube seal attaches to the copper water tube that there's no way I could be missing the connection without knowing it. There's really nowhere for the water tube to go except where it's supposed to.<br /><br />I'm sure water goes in where it's leaking out now when I submerge the unit in water but it's coming out of there now with pressure. I don't think it should be coming out of there now at all, at least it never did before I changed the water pump.<br /><br />I didn't use any insulaters on the pump housing however I did use the washers that came with the new bolts on the top of the housing. The old bolts did have washers on them.<br /><br />I tried the garden hose idea the last time I had the lower unit off. I figured it may show a leak somwhere but no water came out of anywhere, not even the water tube seal. I'm guessing that unless the impeller is turning the water fills the void b/n two impeller vanes and pressurizes??<br /><br />Hopefully tommorrow after work I'll be able to fire this thing up and see if its fixed or not. Thanks for all the replies.

TenE307

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have a 1991 100hp merc. <br />when i replaced my water pump. i could not get the shift shaft in correctly and ended up breaking about 1/4" around the shift shaft.<br />on the muffs i am positive that i get water out of the shift shaft. the prob i had was i have to point my hose upward to get a good amount of water to come out of the tell-tale. the area that is filled with water on the muffs, from what i can tell there is no way to stop the water coming ot of the shift shaft. i prob took my lower unit off 30 times to get it to shift right. gets old dont it.<br />i do not have a water pressure guage. might in the future.<br />i did not put a lick of silicone when i replaced mine.

Fishin4fun

Seaman

I just did the lower unit in my 79 115, I had the exact same symptoms in mine, I got frusterated and then took it to a Merc Mechanic to take a look and educate me on what I did wrong, verdict, the water tube was not seating up at the motor end. He showed me how to install it with the tube in prior to replacing the lower unit, and a few other trick, but anyway end state, $60 bucks for an hour of labor, she be working fine, and I learned a bit about the lower unit, its assembly and how it is supposed to go together. From your photos, I think the water tube isnt seated properly up top like mine wasnt, try seating it into the mid section before you install the lower unit, hope it helps

Fishallot

Seaman

She's still leaking and I'm too frustrated to try again. I'm going to take it to a pro and let him take on my headache. Can't say I didn't give it an honest try.<br /><br />Fishin4fun.... What you describe is what I originally thought was my problem. However until I used silicone where the water tube seal meets the pump housing the water tube seal stayed on the upper part everytime I pulled the lower unit back off. It was on there so tight that I had to use pliers to pull it back off. Maybe i'll give it 1 more try using your advice before I yell uncle.

phillnjack

Seaman

:p hello guys. ive just replaced the impellor on my 93 60hp merc.got same symptoms. phoned merc agent told him what was happening and the reply was that this is what is meant to happen. checked with another agent told same. when engine running the water comes back down from engine and comes out from gearshift hole and other places as well as prop. so this is what were told here in united kingdom. hope this helps

Fishallot

Seaman

Here's an update to my situation.<br /><br />After talking with a zillion people about my water pump worries I decided to put the boat in the water and give it a run to see what happened. First I checked my overheat alarm circuit to verify it was working. Once I saw it was I put the boat in the water and idled around in the inlet for about an hour to see what would happen. Everything seemed ok so I opened her up and ran a few miles at cruising speed. As soon as I came off plane I felt the tell tale water and it was warm but by no means hot. I also opened the cowling and felt all around the motor for heat, everything seemed normal. I vetured out into the bay and opened her up for what ended up being a 40 mile cruise to look for some new wrecks to fish. The motor ran flawless.<br /><br />My final decision is that I don't have a problem with the water pump leaking. One mechanic I talked to said he's seen it many times before that when when a new water pump gets installed you see water come from places you never new existed, especially when the impeller is very old and not pumping much water.<br /><br />I'd like to apoligize for making a big deal about nothing with you guys. I really appreciate all the feedback that was given in trying to help me out.<br /><br />One good thing that did come from all this is that I can now drop a lower unit, install a new water pump and put the lower unit back on with my eyes closed and one arm behind my back. An old dog has been taught a new trick!!

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class

"Andy wrote"
That water coming out everywhere is probably more related the the hose pumping water in through the pickup (You don't see it when submerged),

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Fishallot..<br /><br />No apologies required.. Your post is very constructive and has some great pics. It will help others to identify similar situtations. You have gained the best kind of knowledge.. Hands - on..<br />Keep posting the same way and others will benefit.

garry

Cadet

I replaced the impeller on my 90hp and had the exact same leak with the muffs on. I dropped the lower unit again and the seal on the drive shaft just above the water pump wasn't tight to the pump. I pushed it into the proper position and reassembled the lower unit. No leak!!! In your pictures I do not see the seal that goes on the drive shaft and rests on top of the water pump. Hope this helps. Duffer