Water Pump Plastic Impeller Wedge--New Style

Randy W.

Seaman
Howdy:
I need some clarification relative to the installation of the impeller wedge on a 1980 200HP Johnson with the new style pump housing. The plastic wedge, which acts as the key, goes with the narrow (tapered) end forward while turning the shaft clockwise...correct? This makes total sense since by turning the shaft it will actually "wedge" the key in position. However, if you flip the impeller and the wedge key, you would actually have a flat edge of the wedge key up against the flat edge of the impeller core. I'm thinking the first option is correct but the factory manual is not clear in this area as it is referencing the original style pump. Can someone give me their two cents on this topic?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water Pump Plastic Impeller Wedge--New Style

Your first option is correct. You want the wedge going with d/s rotation which wedges into the impeller. Don't reverse them as stated in your second option!!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

It should be fitted so the wedge drives the impeller.

Randy W.

Seaman

Thanks for the responses and clarification! I thought the first option was correct, but I wanted another opinion. These outboards like the water up to get to the powerhead!