Water pump or related issues

Last time I flushed my 6HP Yamaha, I noticed there was only a drip, drip from the tell-tale. I assumed the water pump was bad, so I ordered a new one.

Once I took the lower unit apart, the water pump looks fine to my (novice) eye. There doesn't seem to be a plug in the lower unit/intake area, either.

The tell-tales are not clogged, either, as I ran a plastic thingy a couple inches into both.

I tried using a ball pump to blow air backwards through the tell-tale and forwards into the pipe that leaves the water pump. In both cases, the air blew in, but didn't come out the other end (not sure where it came out...). So it seems like there is clog and/or leak somewhere between the pump and the pee holes? Not sure, I'm pretty ignorant, just figuring out things as I go.

Any ideas? Can I run weedeater string from the pipe that attaches to the water pump all the way through the cooling system looking for clogs? (What's up in the cooling system - is just a pipe that runs through the motor and out to the tell-tale?)

Any suggestions would be welcome. :)

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Water pump or related issues

Clean it all up good and install a new pump kit, then see if it is pumping and cooling properly. then pump needs replacing every few years.
to me, Those holes look more like the exhaust idle relief ports rather than a tell tail, but I do not have a 6hp

Those holes look more like the exhaust idle relief ports rather than a tell tail, but I do not have a 6hp

Hmmmm. Well, I looked a bit closer and found this hole up underneath the power head. Maybe this is the tell-tale?

telltale2.jpg

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes that is the tell-tail but it looks like you have alot of salt-buildup, has this outboard been used in salt-water alot?? If so and your only getting a little drip coming out of the tell-tail hole then your water passages might be clogged with salt-build-up. I had a 95' 6hp yami and had the same problems your having. To clean the passages on this motor is a ***** but what i did was ck. the t-stat port and it had alot of salt crystals everywhere, clean the t-stat and passages with a mix of water/vinager using compressed air for about a week.
Finally after test starting it the tell-tail hole shot out alot of white creamy crud until it had a nice steady pee stream.

I been reading on this forum that the older Yami's water passages on these little ob's are prone to clogging with salt.
Anyway i hope this might help you out with your motor