Water pump options to replace obsolete impeller

sam60

Captain
Are there any methods to replace the impeller? (other than replacing the drive) I've found lots of OMC parts but not able to get my hands on a spare impeller that fits the King Cobra.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: Water pump options to replace obsolete impeller

I don't know about the Cobras, but I can get impellers for my Stringer so something is out there somewhere for you.

Did you try shop.evinrude.com?

sam60

Captain

I don't know about the Cobras, but I can get impellers for my Stringer so something is out there somewhere for you.

Did you try shop.evinrude.com?

YEP, looked everywhere. Missed a couple on ebay. Part No. 987176.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes searching doesn't work. I would call iboats, GLM, Sierra, and maybe Mallory.

southkogs

Staff member

Or look through the schematics at Evinrudes site. I can figure out parts that way quite a bit.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I am wondering if a belt driven raw water pump and a thru hull fitting would be a good alternative if you really can't find it.

KailuaBeachBoy

Recruit

IMG_0340.jpg
I am wondering if a belt driven raw water pump and a thru hull fitting would be a good alternative if you really can't find it.

Aloha friends,
This is what I did to my 1988 Liberator 211 to take care of the water pump issues and also upgrade to modern style "driven" water pump. It is a bit of work but worth the efforts in many ways. I used a basic thru hull pick up like these:http://www.livebaitlarry.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=96
The hardest part is gaining the needed space to install the pick up and pump. I found a great space in the engine bay for the pick up tube and requiered valve and plumbing. I was able to make a nice access door under my rear bench seat to install the driven pump. After a lot of head scratching it all came out nicely.
I just got done with a complete restoration from stringers up. The entire interior was rebuilt using the original parts as templates to keep the OEM integrity. All new "best quality" materials were used for the carpet and upholstery throughout the boat. I added "Knytex" along the entire hull surface and coated everything with red pigmented epoxy even under where the carpet goes. There is not one item left untouched including complete replacement of all stainless steel from stem to stern down to the last screw and bolt. I am proud of my 460 Ford King Cobra (with a 1990 "Cone Clutch" Drive) and being a mechanic have had no problems with any of it including the Spitfire ignition. And to all you haters out there, (you know who you are!!) I have plenty of backup parts which I had no problem locating including a factory OTC Breakout Box for complete diagnosis of the Spitfire components. I even have backup module, crank sensors, knock sensors, etc. This is a great set up that can handle as much power if not more than anything out there. Just ask the guys at the outdrive shops about the "Daddy Kings".
I have pictures of the entire retsoration if anyone is intersted I could start a different post if desired.

Attachments

• IMG_0337.jpg
    IMG_0337.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 0

sam60

Captain

View attachment 129927

Aloha friends,
This is what I did to my 1988 Liberator 211 to take care of the water pump issues and also upgrade to modern style "driven" water pump. It is a bit of work but worth the efforts in many ways. I used a basic thru hull pick up like these:http://www.livebaitlarry.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=96
The hardest part is gaining the needed space to install the pick up and pump. I found a great space in the engine bay for the pick up tube and requiered valve and plumbing. I was able to make a nice access door under my rear bench seat to install the driven pump. After a lot of head scratching it all came out nicely.

Nice work and nice boat! That is a very clean engine compartment! I hate it when the hardware store has all the other brass stuff but doesn't have a brass bell reducer. What size intake did you select? I wonder if a 24V control valve from an HVAC supplier would work if wired to both batteries and though a relay to the run circuit on the ignition switch? That might eliminate the need to close the ball valve when docked. What are the temps now compared to the impeller?

Mike

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

What are the temps now compared to the impeller?
Mike, you do realize he still has an impeller right?

I sure wouldn't trust a switch to open up a valve.

sam60

Captain

No, I missed that Bruce...I wouldn't go through all of that if I could just replace the impeller........:facepalm:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

No, I missed that Bruce...I wouldn't go through all of that if I could just replace the impeller........:facepalm:

His picture number 4 shows the new raw water pump.

sam60

Captain

But isn't it a new impeller within the raw H2O pump rather than the stock impeller..? Finding the stock impeller and a temp comparison to it is what I was referring to.

Mike

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

But isn't it a new impeller within the raw H2O pump rather than the stock impeller..? Finding the stock impeller and a temp comparison to it is what I was referring to.

Mike

Correct. I know that was what you were also asking.

The only way to really tell is to measure the exhaust manifold temps as the engine should remain constant.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Beautiful job on that boat, one question on the conversion, does it matter that you don't have the original impeller pulling cool water up the drive, when you have exhaust gas in that area? Or does it not matter on a Liberator if it had through the transom exhaust?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Mike

Is that a Jabsco (Volvo Penta type) pump?

Hey Mike,

Here's one I found........It's right up here in Seattle. You won't like the price though....Looks like they're trying to jack the price.............
http://www.seawaymarine.com/pages/CustomCatalog/Product/38658#

Cheers,

Rick

sam60

Captain

Thanks Rick. I may have found on for about $40, but won't know until they answer their phone tomorrow.

sam60

Captain

Well, Rick...I appreciate the research. I tried the leads I found and ALL of them sold out! So I called Seaway, ALL GONE! A void and a vacuum with a demand is opportunity.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Time for the thru hull solution!