Water Pump Kit?

Puncheon50

Seaman Apprentice
Working on 1981 Johnson 70hp water pump. After breaking everything down, I have a few discrepancies. One, the old Impeller has a metal key. New impeller takes plastic. New impeller is larger(thicker) than the old impeller and the housing is taller to accommodate the thicker impeller. Everything looks like it will bolt up .just fine but is this normal after market parts or did I get sent a kit for a larger Johnson?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your motor may not have the original 1981 lower unit !----Could be older and could be newer.-----Post pictures of this stuff.----Otherwise all bets are off.

Ran into the same thing this weekend. Used the new kit as as it came and everything works fine. I know darned well the last time I replace the impeller...the key was metal.Pay attention as to which side of the impeller goes up so it will slide over the key. One thing I noticed was the metal liner for the pump housing was not fully pressed down all the way allowing it to stick up 1/4 inch passed flush. I pulled it out and aligned it carefully and seated it with the vise.

Last edited:

thatone123

Banned
I've come across similar in some less expensive parts...most likely from China.