Water pump impellor change

rivrhnd

Cadet
Need some quick help as I'm heading to the Colorado River for the week this Sunday. I bought the water pump impellor for the Evinrude 115 ('93) and want to make sure how to do the removal and install. I was told to basically undo the lower unit and have the motor in gear and it shoud drop?? Impellor is right there to remove and replace. Is it that easy? Anyone have any quick tips so I don't cuss it. I'm very mechanically inclined so looking for some pointers.

Thanks...

Walker

Captain
Re: Water pump impellor change

You do have to disconnect the shift rod from the shift linkage. Its right under the carburators at the base of the engine block. I believe on your motor you can split the cowling pan by taking out 2 bolts in the front and 2 bolts in the back. That's the thing to do so you can get a good view of the shift rod connection. I could be mistaken though. The shift linkage comes apart in one of 2 ways. Either there is a hitch pin thru the linkage arm on the starboard side that you pull out and then shove the linkgage arm sideways towards the motor to release it, or there is a bolt thru the shift collar way in there in the middle that has to come out. Getting it hooked back up is twicw as difficult as releasing it. If I were you I'd run to the nearest dealer and by a manual.