Water pump housing pitted

Hi folks,

I'm a newbie to boating and have a 1974 75HP & 1976 90Hp and both have pitted water pump housings. I'm wondering a couple of things;

a) does a bit of pitting affect performance - can I still use them (I've been told it shortens the life of the impeller).
b) is there anything I can do to tidy up the pitting?
c) I'm in Australia and am struggling to find housings/kits for these. Do you know any supplier who are likely to have them and ship internationally?
d) any other advice appreciated

Thanks, Grant

Steven Bates

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Water pump housing pitted

g'day mate, haha glad to hear i'm not the only aussie here with the old girls... i have found a few places that do... google up mastertech marine, their in the states but good... theres a place in qld that has a range too, if i find/remember it ill let you know.
I have a 90hp for parts in my shed, complete, but blew head gasket so i got lazy and put a 125 in its place... also got a 75hp with T/T so if you can't find things or need some parts let me know... cheers- steve.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The pits won't really hurt the impeller.
The pits don't affect the amount of water flow.Unless it's REAL bad!!
The sell a product called Marine Tex(think That's right)
Mix up a small amount and fill the holes and then with a sanding wheel take the excess off making it smooth.
Just don't take off too much.
I had a Mercruiser lower unit prop shaft oil leak.I filled it with Marine tex and put it in a lathe and smoothed it down and it stopped leaking.
Far as I know it has held for almost 15 years.

Jiggz

Captain

I would follow Jerry's recommendation while waiting for a replacement from the states. One thing I will add to his procedure is to use wire brush to clean the pittings. It's the only way to clean them without going through each one.

Thanks for all the comments guys, great effort. Good to know that minor pitting doesn't affect performance.

I'll have a look at Mastertech, no problems being in the USA - with our high Aussie dollar and the ridiculous cost of living here (Sydney is now the most expensive city in the world) buying from the USA & UK is commonplace now. I'll can track down the magic goo too.

Cheers,

Grant