Water pressure problems

RTB87

Cadet
Hi I've got a 2001 2.5l powerhead that I bolted to an older mid shaft lower unit.. Problem I'm having is I'm not getting enough water pressure when taking off.. I have to keep the rpm right around the 3000 mark until it builds pressure or the buzzer goes off and motor goes into limp mode.....once it build 5psi then I can go full throttle and works fine and climbs right up to 17psi at WOT.. What would cause low pressure like this... At idle I have 0 pressure but water is coming out both hoses... if I goose the throttle in neutral the pressure gauge dose move.. I'm lost on what to do here.. I've replace water pump dropped motor thinking it wasn't low enough in water... Any help would be appreciated thanks

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
There are two different tube sizes.. Are you sure you have the correct pump base for the tube you have? Is it a CLE or sportmaster lower?

RTB87

Cadet
Tube size are you talking about the copper tube going from the pump to the motor.. If so yes it's the right one... And lower unite how do you tell which one it is what's the difference.. I know this one is the low water pick up and is just 2 little wholes under the front of the nose cone

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Many if not most of the CLE's ( Crescent leading edge 2 hole low water pickup ) like you have have the large ( 5/8" or 3/4". I dont remember which ) water pump socket . CLE's were used on higher HP performance types motors like 260's and bridgeports. The smaller fishing motor tube will fit in the socket but won't seal up and water will blow out around the seal where the tube goes into the pump socket. If that is the case with yours you can change the upper pump housing to the fishing motor style.

I have a 4 hole CLE on mine and it had the same big tube pump housing that I had to change to match with my small tube.

If thats not it check the poppet seal on your water pressure relief poppet.

Dukedog

Captain
Tha big one is only a hi perf. deal.....on one piece plates...Cle's were all small unless they were changed (like yours) after tha big tube came out in '98/'99 with tha 260/280 ta match tha newer one piece plates....All production 2.5 are small. There is no "limp/safe" mode........How old is old? One or two piece adapter plate?
Start with "complete OEM water pump kit" then find out whats up/causin' tha "limp" mode thing........

Last edited:

RTB87

Cadet
The lower unit is from the older style cowling but still a 2.5l efi...mid 90s not sure I know that dosent rly help I'll have to check the plate this weekend.. Boat is at cottage... Nothing is to do with fishing motor parts... Both motors come off of 2 different STVs.. As for the limp mode as soon as the beeper goes off it cuts down on power and kill I'll say 3 cylinder until I get water pressure back then I get all power back...adapter plate is the what the exhaust I'll call it headers cones are bolted to if so it's a 1 peice... As for a poppet vavle were is this located and what dose it do and look like Thanks again guys

RTB87

Cadet
Their a pic of the boat maybe it will help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 0

RTB87

Cadet
#10 I believe it's it's the 01 production power head it says on the motor that's it's a 2.5l 225hp if I remember right.. If that makes sense I'll check on Friday and make sure what it says from what I'm reading it should be 260hp I'll double check on Friday

Last edited:

Dukedog

Captain
#10 I believe it's it's the 01 production power head it says on the motor that's it's a 2.5l 225hp if I remember right.. If that makes sense I'll check on Friday and make sure what it says from what I'm reading it should be 260hp I'll double check on Friday

That would be a ProMax power head. Painted or unpainted block? Unless its a replacement block there will be a serial number stamped on tha port side flange where tha front and rear block halves meet. Will start with a 0 (zero) then a letter followed by six numbers. Does it have tha trim pump in tha boat? Take several pictures of tha power head including tha adapter plate.

Water pressure has nothing at all ta do with tha "stall" type thing your describing........

RTB87

Cadet
I believe the block is black I'll take pics this weekend and post them up here and see what you guys think

RTB87

Cadet
couldn't post pics with phone and having trouble with computer now..... block is not painted I could not find a serial number on the block... theirs a sticker on the computer for the motor it says
225x racing efi
PCM71650701

not sure if this helps at all

Dukedog

Captain
It helps me. I'll just stay in tha truck if its a true "X" motor. Its an all electronically controlled motor real similar ta 280 electronics. Absolutely no way would I try any knda trouble diagnostics ona computer. Sorry but GL with it. BTW, it may have a "guardian" mode...........

Dukedog

Captain
Faz, that motor came with same type coolin' as earlier ProMax. Had t-stats, poppet ona 2 piece plate.......'cept for tha 15"er. was 1 piece.

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Thats why I asked as you cant run stats/poppet on a 1 piece plate....

Dukedog

Captain
There was some discussion 'bout that ona 'nother board. Seems like they do on that motor but think stats are like 12? something on tha 15" one piece. Has ta do with it being a "steel sleeve" motor.....It also has tha big water tube (15" one piece). Will add tha PM, X one piece plate is a little different from most (260's, 280's).

This is all I got from internet post but compared ta MercNet parts listed for it seems ta hold water. Have never actually put my hands ona "factory" 15" ProMax or X motor though........

Last edited: