Water on all 4 plugs on a 89 110hp evinrude

fishyfishy18

Seaman Apprentice
I recently pulled all my plugs on my rude and saw that there was water on the plugs not much just a little

I haven't done a compression test but the last time I was out the motor ran like a champ

Could it be a head gasket? I'm not sure because its in all 4 plugs
Could it be a exhaust gasket? Im thinking it might be this because of the water on all 4 plugs?
Could it be water in the gas? the motor is run great no hick ups? I do have a water fuel separator on the fuel line. The fuel is from last season meaning from 6 months ago there is ethanol in the gas but I did add fuel stabilizer before I packed up for the season.
Could it be water getting into the engine the last time I had the boat out it was raining super hard and we had some seriously bad weather?
Could it be anything else that I haven't considered?

Is there any issue if I don't fix the problem the motor still has low hours and its always been in fresh water.

Its my baby and I love her I just want to do the right thing

Has anyone had this issue?

NAPA has the entire power head gasket kit for $139.00
I am thinking of replacing the powerhead gaskets I'm just concerned with seized bolt and snapping them. that seems like it will get me into more trouble then just leaving it

Thank you all

Happy Boating

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water on all 4 plugs on a 89 110hp evinrude

If it has been sitting for 6 months I would simply run the motor and check for water after a short run.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Water in the engine is a recipe for a major problem. Cranks and bearings don't like water. Check for water in the bottom of the remote oil tank. That VRO fuel/oiling system will distribute it through the whole engine. Maybe the cap was left off the tank and rainwater got into it? A water leak in the exhaust manifolds will allow water to get into the exhaust chest. Usually an exhaust leak affects the lower cyls first. A bad leak can affect all 4. Check the inner exhaust manifold for a pinhole leak from casting porosity. Usually, water gets into the cyls from bad head gaskets. They can warp badly if the engine was severly overheated. Does you hot horn function-esp the last time out? Ethanol-based fuels tend to attract moisture/water over time. How old is the fuel in the tank? For that reason, I burn up all the fuel in my tank each fall, and siphon out any that did not get burned. Start out with fresh fuel each spring.

fishyfishy18

Seaman Apprentice

Water in the engine is a recipe for a major problem. Cranks and bearings don't like water. Check for water in the bottom of the remote oil tank. That VRO fuel/oiling system will distribute it through the whole engine. Maybe the cap was left off the tank and rainwater got into it? A water leak in the exhaust manifolds will allow water to get into the exhaust chest. Usually an exhaust leak affects the lower cyls first. A bad leak can affect all 4. Check the inner exhaust manifold for a pinhole leak from casting porosity. Usually, water gets into the cyls from bad head gaskets. They can warp badly if the engine was severly overheated. Does you hot horn function-esp the last time out? Ethanol-based fuels tend to attract moisture/water over time. How old is the fuel in the tank? For that reason, I burn up all the fuel in my tank each fall, and siphon out any that did not get burned. Start out with fresh fuel each spring.

I am running straight 50:1 mix. I got rid of the VRO when I bought the motor.
I didn't have any problems with overheating last time, I was out granted the water temp was 34.1F and with no issue on water pressure if there was a gasket leak
The motor is running great no problems. I am going to replace all the gas in the tank and change the plugs, do a compression test and see if I still have water on the plugs

Thank You

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are running in saltwater and the plugs are still wet, taste the water, if salty make sure the cylinders are well oiled to avoid the rings sticking.

fishyfishy18

Seaman Apprentice

If you are running in saltwater and the plugs are still wet, taste the water, if salty make sure the cylinders are well oiled to avoid the rings sticking.

Im only running fresh water not salt for this old dog nor the location I'm land locked

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Give it a good run on the water and then check it again.

fishyfishy18

Seaman Apprentice

Give it a good run on the water and then check it again.

ill do that but its still winter here up in theses part (MT)

Thank you all for the comments!
Ill post back once I get her out on some open water

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Along with changing out the gas, be sure to drain filters and separators, as well as the carb bowls. You could have destabilized fuel or water sitting in the bottom of these areas.