Water Logged?

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 17' aluminum StarCraft hulled Monark is always bone dry when when I take it off the lake. My question is, will there be signs of water in the bilge if my foam has water in it. Can I look at the foam somewhere to see if it's wet? When I take the seat pedestals out there is a small hole in the bottom that I can stick a pencil in. The pencil always comes out dry. The boat, trailer, and motor weigh 2,340 lbs. Does this mean my foam is OK? Thanks.

Last edited:

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 17' aluminum StarCraft hulled Monark is always bone dry when when I take it off the lake. My question is, will there be signs of water in the bilge if my foam has water in it. Can I look at the foam somewhere to see if it's wet? When I take the seat pedestals out there is a small hole in the bottom that I can stick a pencil in. The pencil always comes out dry. Does this mean my foam is OK? Thanks.

Its probably ok in that spot the pencil goes in. But no way to know about everywhere else. I pulled the floor in my boat, and the foam was soggy, no real signs of water in the bilge after the water from swimmers dried.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
san dimas, does the weight you posted seem wrong or too much? If you can find what the boat weight is with the engine and gear, you can make a pretty good guestimate if the foam is soaked. Just add up the engine weight, the hull and even all the gear. Then weight the entire setup and figure in the trailer weigh or have the trailer weighed without the boat and subtract from the total weight. If it is close to your guestimations then everything is good. However, if it is off by a few hundred pounds, I suspect the foam is soaked...

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi gm20. I know what the motor weighs but no idea about the boat and trailer. The trailer is quite robust and is probably heavy. I can look up the boat weight on the NADA guide but I'm not sure how accurate they are. The boat model is a 1997 Monark 1700 Pro. Maybe someone would have an idea what it weighs. The motor is 260 lbs and the nada quide says the boat is 1000 lbs.
So that would put the trailer at 1080 lbs. Does that sound right?

Last edited:
1080lbs is a lot for a single axle trailer, however the boat weight you got from nada guides does not include fuel or accessories which could account for a few hundred pounds...