water leaking from shifter cable area

gregorious

Cadet
just replaced the water impeller and housing and now i have water coming out where the shifter cable hooks on, is that right or is something wrong because i had never torn it apart before and never really noticed it before either. It is an 1981 larson with a 485 motor and a mc1 drive. Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
where the shifter connects is outside the drive so exactly where is it leaking from and did you have the manual

gregorious

Cadet
thanks guys, looked into it further and i had also replaced the fresh water reservoir gaskets and the rubber behind. so i took the lower end off again and found another piece of rubber from the previous impeller, so hoses off and flushed water back out the intake and the exhaust and couldnt get the water out the exhaust so looks like i will have to take the reservoir back off and see what is restricting it. It was my dads boat for the past 15ish years but has sat for the last 6. Learning as I go !!!! oh and Bt I was in the boat looking over the back and that is were it looked like it was coming from and yes i have the now getting greasy owners manual

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
might have misunderstood that , the water coming out of the shift cable where it attaches inside the boat is from a missing water passage O ring and/or a damaged mounting gasket. The water exiting the heat exchanger goes to the fitting on the elbow, This is where the raw water exits thru the elbow and out the exaust pipe.

gregorious

Cadet
sorry about the confusion. i was in the boat looking out and saw the water ( what looked like) coming out of the top portion of the where the shifter cable and exhaust goes through. I flushed through the intake and tried flushing the return through the exhaust and only got back pressure,should the water go through with out the engine running or does it have to be running because i am thinking it might be back pressure that is causing my leaks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
you have a closed cooling system (regular 50/50 A/F ) and a heat exchanger. raw water only passes thru the heat exchanger and out the elbow .
The shift cable goes thru to the right of the exaust pipe inside the boat.
Where are you seeing this water? inside the boat or outside the boat.
open the merc manual and give me a page number showing this area

Last edited:

gregorious

Cadet
well i gear clamped the garden hose to the return hose and got water out the exhaust so thats not the problem but a friend came over and watched it and said it was coming out the holes on either side of the drive so maybe i dont have the problem i thought i had,just working on it yourself makes you see things differently and worry more !!!!