Water in U-joint Bellows

vanharca

Cadet
I have a 96 stingray 658zp with a 350 mag and alpha gen2. This weekend I pulled the out drive during winterization to find a pool of water in the u-joint bellow. I replaced the gimbal bearing, bellows and shift cable just last season. The boat doesn't take on any water and everything seemed fine prior to pulling the drive. I did however notice a very slight loss of gear lube from the reservoir over the season, probably a 1/2 inch over the whole summer. I haven't drained the drive yet so I'm not sure about the condition of the gear lube. My questions are:

1) The gimbal bearing is the sealed type and feels smooth, should be concerned and/or replace due to the water?
2) The bellows appear fine. What others sources could there be for the water intrusion? Is it possible that the gaskets where I pulled the drive could be at fault?
3) What do I need to look at that could have been damaged as a result?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Water in U-joint Bellows

1) no way the gimbal bearing will leak unless the grease fitting is missing or broke. Do not see this as a possibility.
2) Did you use the adhesive when replacing the boots? Try to stretch the boots out with a bright light. The gaskets could be the issue but did you find much water in the boat during the season, if not it could be a very small leak.
3) The matting surfaces are smooth

vanharca

Cadet

1) no way the gimbal bearing will leak unless the grease fitting is missing or broke. Do not see this as a possibility.
2) Did you use the adhesive when replacing the boots? Try to stretch the boots out with a bright light. The gaskets could be the issue but did you find much water in the boat during the season, if not it could be a very small leak.
3) The matting surfaces are smooth

Regarding the bearing, I was more concerned about the water in the bellows damaging the bearing rather than it being the source.

I did use the adhesive when installing the bellows, and the was very little water in the boat during use.

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member

Regarding the bearing, I was more concerned about the water in the bellows damaging the bearing rather than it being the source.

I did use the adhesive when installing the bellows, and the was very little water in the boat during use.

Thanks

Water will damage the bearing but if it feels good I would grease it up some more to flush out any water that may have got in.
Only other way to find the leak is put it in the water on a trailer down as deep as possible, move the drive around and see if you can see something (camera, inspection mirror). There is a possibility that it did start to leak but then stopped. Clamps tight try again

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

With the gimbal bearing being the sealed type, you will not be able to grease it to flush it. If there is any doubt I would replace it... but if it feels smooth and does not appear to have been affected, then you may get away with leaving it alone. Choice is yours. How did the big square "o" ring gasket look when you pulled the drive? Sometimes it can get out of place when installing a drive and cause a leak.