Water in through throttle body/loss of power

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Of course has to happen on Memorial Day weekend and with brand new non-boaters on board....

2000 Rinker FV 270
5.7 throttle body
0L636997
Bravo 3

Heater hose punctured spraying water in engine bay. Lucky I caught it within a few minutes, dropped anchor and fixed. Easy.

I think some of the spray ended up in flame arrestor and she sipped a little water. Started up. Idled a few minutes with a few minor pops until it cleared. Slowly advanced throttle. No issues all the way up. Runs smooth.

All normal except climbing out of the hole. Runs normal/normal power/RPM rise as always until the point where it needs to climb. Feels like not enough power to climb. Added more tabs down. Helped a little. On second attempt, she managed to get up. Everything normal from there all the way to 4600. Backed to down to 4000 cruise. All good.

Slowed down for no wake area. Exact same thing coming out. Feels very normal except right where you need power the most. Before and after that point all is normal.

No pops or other mis-fires. I'm thinking and hoping simple as fouled plug. They have less than 1 hour on them. I'll gladly replace them but would rather think it through before just replacing only to find out it's something else.

alldodge

Staff member
Serial number shows 5.7 Carb not throttle body, and thanks for SN

Idled a few minutes with a few minor pops until it cleared
What type of pops?, backfires?

If water got into the motor a valve might have been bent.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Serial number shows 5.7 Carb not throttle body, and thanks for SN

What type of pops?, backfires?

If water got into the motor a valve might have been bent.
I'll have to look more closely at carb. Memory recalls TB unit on engine.

Yes. I would call it a back fire, but was very minor vs the backfire when ignition module went bad a few years ago. I don't really think there are levels of back fire?

Sure as hell hope it's not a bent valve. I suppose compression test is an order?

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, compression test would be good.

When an engine takes a sip (or a gulp) of water the possibility of a hydro-lock needs to be considered.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Yes, compression test would be good.

When an engine takes a sip (or a gulp) of water the possibility of a hydro-lock needs to be considered.
Wouldn't a hydro-lock stop it dead? I have had this happen in the past. Actually from the afore-mentioned backfire due to bad ignition module. Also have seen this on several other occasions with other boats.

Is it a possible "almost" hydro-lock? like a teaspoon more than full compression chamber. Enough to bend valve and then blow out on exhaust stroke?

alldodge

Staff member
Many things are possible, but without some testing we're just guessing

Other things
Check plugs, wires, cap
Check for spark
Fuel

Kind of like need to start somewhere

tpenfield

Staff member
Wouldn't a hydro-lock stop it dead? I have had this happen in the past. Actually from the afore-mentioned backfire due to bad ignition module. Also have seen this on several other occasions with other boats.

Is it a possible "almost" hydro-lock? like a teaspoon more than full compression chamber. Enough to bend valve and then blow out on exhaust stroke?
A mild hydro-lock tends to bend the connecting rods rather than stop the engine completely. BTDT. As AD said, anything is possible.