Water in oil

Shane7

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just got a new 1983 merc 898 198hp it has water in the oil ( in the block ) I was wondering how I can test to see what this is from a cracked block,head,head gasket,exhaust gasket or something else the previous owner never changed the impeller and the engine overheated after they had the impeller changed there was water in the oil is there a way to pressure test them or a different method

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water in oil

Just got a new 1983 merc 898 198hp it has water in the oil ( in the block ) I was wondering how I can test to see what this is from a cracked block,head,head gasket,exhaust gasket or something else the previous owner never changed the impeller and the engine overheated after they had the impeller changed there was water in the oil is there a way to pressure test them or a different method

Howdy,

Well, your first step should be to pressure test the block and heads to see if it will hold 15 psi or so.

Since you live where freezing temps are common, you should consider a cracked block as a possibility.

If you have a look in the "sticky' messages above in this forum, you should be able to find instructions on how to do it.

Basically disconnect the cooling water hoses from the manifolds and risers, block the other openings and use an air compressor, gage and valve to see where it leaks.

Believe me you're going to hear the hissing.

If the block is cracked, your best bet is either a short block (get the heads done too) or a "long block".

Good luck,

Rick