water in oil!!!!!!

38plymouth

Seaman Apprentice
I forgot to change the oil in 120 Mercruiser I/O last fall. The boat was covered all winter but rain water was able to get into the engine compartment area. When I changed the oil the other day between 1-2 quarts of clear water came out and then the ugliest yellow oil you ever saw. I put in new oil and ran the boat the next day and so far there are no problems (it ran good with good oil pressure). I am knowledgeable with car engines but cannot figure out why the water is in there. One "boat" person told me it was condensation from sitting all winter. I believe a seal or gasket must have allowed the water to enter the engine last season and I didn't notice it. I am going to check the new oil soon to see if any water is in there after about 2 hours of running.

ehenry

Commander
Re: water in oil!!!!!!

Next time you have the boat out and run it a little, stop and pull your dip stick....if its milky ya got a problem.

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Be sure to check the oil after an hour or two...sounds like yo have a cracked block or head(s). Thats probably where the water comes from. Big repair. :(

f_inscreenname

Commander

If you are real lucky its a intake man gasket but thats a long shot. 2 Qts thats not condensation. If that happened to every motor that sat a couple of months I would get into motor rebuilding.