Water in oil turned out to be worst case scenerio...now what..

Mikecouil

Cadet
This was: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=252632

Took it to a guy 45 minutes away to install a lower shift cable. He called me an hour into it and said he had the cable off but still couldn't get it to shift, meaning that the problem is in the shift box itself and not the cable. He said he was more than willing to replace the cables but that I had bigger problems. He went to change the oil and it was just FULL of water. This is a week after I changed the oil and had put it in the water and ran it for not even 5 minutes when I discovered it wouldn't shift. He said he thinks it's a bad head gasket and the cooling system is basically just pouring water in.

Here is where I stand:

I know my block is good and my lower unit is good. I know the majority of my electronics are good. The bilge and horn don't work but everything else is good including tilt/trim motor,starter, and all lights. I know that I had my engine started and running and saw it run well as long as I didn't put it in gear.

I know my engine is no good. I don't know the full extent of the issues. There are screws missing in various places on the engine and there is what looks to be a mounting bracket sitting in one of the storage compartments, telling me someone has opened up the engine at some point for an unknown reason. I know that I can't shift or it kills the engine.

So....I don't have a book and nobody locally sells one. I'm not a complete idiot and THINK I can replace the head gasket myself. It appears to be a pretty straight forward job and everything is easily accessible. But at this point I worry that this may not be all that is wrong and even if it is, how soon until something else horrible goes wrong?

Couple questions: A)Can I do this myself with no experience? I'm willing to fork out the 40.00 for a manual and 40.00 for a head gasket if this is something I can tackle. B)Just how big a job is this? It LOOKS like a 3 hour job. Take off the carb and disconnect some wires, take the head off, swap out the gasket and put it all back together.

Appreciate the advice from before and look forward to any more.

Muqwump

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Water in oil turned out to be worst case scenerio...now what..

Sounds like the exaughst manifold is bad. The shifting and the water in the engine is two seperate issues. If you get a manual, you may be able to do much of the work your self. It may take more time, but you may save some money.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

How do you know your block is good? Have the exhaust manifold(s) and head(s) been removed?

Mikecouil

Cadet

Those were very good reads. At this point with the lack of information I have I pretty much have to determine if I want to go all the way on this or just cut and run. I'm leaning towards the latter. If I had a friend who knew enough to help me tear it apart it would be a different story, but my dad is the only one with any experience and his back is so shot now that he could never be bent over long enough to help me.

Thanks for the links and replies.

Mikecouil

Cadet

How do you know your block is good? Have the exhaust manifold(s) and head(s) been removed?

I know that there are no cracks in the block itself. I dont know anything else.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I know that there are no cracks in the block itself. I dont know anything else.

No external cracks that you can see maybe, but what about inside, where you can't see, where the water is getting into the oil.
I doubt the head gasket is your problem. If freezing caused the leak, it's the block that breaks first. That is where the amount of water is enough to expand and break something.