Water in my boat,why?

I have a 1988 Sunbird 4.3ltr with cobra drive. Every time I pull it out of the lake and pull the plug there is a considerable amount of water which flows out. It didnt come over the edge.No leaks under the hood,hoses,clamps etc. I repaired a busted oil cooler recently,nearly impossible to access. I suspect something called a bellows? How many are there,must I remove drive to repair or replace? Also I need to lube u-joint but I am a little weary of trying to remove the drive by myself. I dont want to hurt my back or damage the unit.How would a shade tree mechanic do this? Jack? Hoist? Few friends? Are there any special aligning tricks when reinstalling?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water in my boat,why?

I hate to say this, but they only way you are going to find a leak is to look for it. All the guessing in the world won't locate it.<br />Every thing under water has a possibility of leaking, and some that aren't under the water, like the rub rail, chain locker drain, rail fittings, you name it. Look for signs of leakage.<br />As far as the drive goes, OMC drives can be a pain to put back on, getting them off isn't usually a problem. Finding a block to put under the skeg helps, and any drive is heavy and awkward. You will also need to get the splines lined up, the gaskets and seals in place, the engine alignment checked, gimbal bearing checked and lubed......You really need a manual to read before you attempt it. so at least you know what to look for and expect.<br />Us professional marine mechanics use the manuals, why not the shade tree bunch???

tylerin

Commander

2 bellows, exhaust bellows doesn't matter much, as a matter a fact a replacement one will come perferated (with slits for drainage) The drive bellows (Top one),another story, if you have a hole there thats a problem. Rusted Gimbel u-joints etc. I've R&R"D that motor by myself not that difficult. Alignment tool mandatory, as Don says don't attempt anything w/out a manual. You'll also need a tool to pull gimbal bearing. Where I buy my parts, the fella always lets me borrow tools. My experience (different than Dons) is I had more difficulty getting the thing off than on.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Main bellows and shift cable bellows may be leaking.To check,get a flashlight and look at night to isolate .Have someone turn the steering wheel and tilt the drive to see if that is where it is leaking from.The drive has to come off to do any of the things you mention.A block under the skeg will usually make it easy enough to remove the drive.Many in this forum like using a hoist.Charlie

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Could be between the gimbal housing and the transom. I recently caulked mine with silicone and tightened the 6 inside bolts on the transom. It stopped my leak.

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

Do you pull skiiers or tubes? You would be amazed at how much water comes into the boat with wet bodies and life jackets, etc. We probably drain a gallon or so out of the bilge every time we come out of the lake and I pull the plug.<br /><br />One way I have found leaks----put the trailer in the water, get your head down in the bilge, and listen for the tell-tale trickle noise.

Thanks everyone! I do have a manual by Cylmer, I also value the help of the kind people on this forum. Don S,you mentioned having the engine alignment checked? Tylerin, you said the alignment tool is mandatory? Access to anything behind the engine is very limited! I did consider the amount of water we brought into the boat when climbing in.The last few times I went out nobody boarded while wet. I used the bilge pump perodically and still dumped apr 3 gallons. Thanks for every ones help! Future and current problems I'll read my manual before or instead of posting. Cobra mentioned the six inside bolts on the transom, inside boat? Dumb question? Yeh I know read my manual. Thanks again everyone!

Thanks everyone! I do have a manual by Cylmer, I also value the help of the kind people on this forum. Don S,you mentioned having the engine alignment checked? Tylerin, you said the alignment tool is mandatory? Access to anything behind the engine is very limited! I did consider the amount of water we brought into the boat when climbing in.The last few times I went out nobody boarded while wet. I used the bilge pump perodically and still dumped apr 3 gallons. Thanks for every ones help! Future and current problems I'll read my manual before or instead of posting. Cobra mentioned the six inside bolts on the transom, inside boat? Dumb question? Yeh I know read my manual. Thanks again everyone!

KaGee

Admiral

Last season, my buddy's boat took on a ton of water and we could not figure it out. Pulled the boat out of the water, inspection did not show any problems. Put it back in, boat sat for a week and all was OK. Went out on sort of rough seas, had a ton of water again... almost to a dangerous level. <br /><br />Long story short... the drain hose from a storage bin had dry rotted and broken off allowing sea water in everytime the through-hull fitting dipped below the water line. <br /><br />Moral of the story... do not assume that leaks are related to just the stern drive/transom area.