Water in fuel, how?

Hello all, own a 2003 230BR Crownline that I am in the process of refurbishing. I bought it not running, and put a new engine in it. Along the way it has sat outside covered for quite some time. The first time, I went to start it, i was getting no fuel. So, I installed a new fuel pump/cooler. Went to start again, the injectors were bad. Installed new injectors, and man were they corroded. It again would not start with the new injectors, so then i realized that the gas that was pumping to the throttle body was kind of warm, and didn't really eat my skin up badly. So I pulled the sending unit, and my fuel tank was absolutely full of a water/gas mixture. My question is, how did it get there? I now know what killed my fuel pump and injectors, and my buddy who replaced the fuel pump did take a while to get it done, so we had some things exposed, but the boat was always covered. The cap on the fuel filler is tight, no way water could get in there. All i can think of is it coming through the vent, any opinions here? I just don't want this to happen again and have to siphon out my fuel again.

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Water in fuel, how?

Had a problem sometime back similar to yours and found that while underway the bow spray was hitting the fuel vent on the side of the hull which was pointed slightly forward. Loosened it and turned it a little aft and installed a clamshell type cover to protect it from spray. You may also want to be sure if there is a rubber "O" ring under the gas cap that it is in good condition. Its not far off to get a bad load of gas at the pump either.

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If your boat sat with less than a full tank of gas, condensation builds up very easy in there, especially if you live in a wet/humid climate. They say to store you boat with a full tank of treated gas, and make sure the treated gas gets through your carb or injectors.

Philster

Captain

The condensation myth was tested and busted by a couple of dedicated marine surveyors.

Ethanol that wasn't treated is one area to focus on and the other is water getting into the tank somehow.

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The condensation myth was tested and busted by a couple of dedicated marine surveyors.

Ethanol that wasn't treated is one area to focus on and the other is water getting into the tank somehow.

Interesting..I stand corrected. I've been told a few times by Marine mechanics to store it with a full tank of treated gas because of moisture build up.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't know what scientists you've been talking to, but water will most certainly condense on the inside of a less than full tank, the amount will depend on the humidity in your area.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

Condensation can form in any hollow container that has atmosphere in it. Everywhere on earth the atmosphere has a humidity level. Say what you want but it does. That humidity can condense if the conditions are right. Some race car frames that are made of tubes have a vacuum pulled on them & sealed to prevent damage from condensation in the air in the tube. Some have fittings on them so they can be pumped full of nitrogen to do a better job on preventing condensation. The myth is actually fact! If some one's experiment "proves" it is a myth than they did the experiment wrong.

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I never store my boat without a full tank of gas and have never had the water problem either. Its pretty hard to believe that's a myth so I'll keep filling her up on the way back home.

waterinthefuel

Commander

I just wanted to say hi to the man who addressed me by name in his OP! :D

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Here's a source of water in the tank: water from rain or splashing on deck drains though the deck plates and other cracks in the floor to the top of the tank; top of the tank is rusted through where fuel sender, vent/fill tube, etc. enter (or a screw is missing), water drips into tank. But it wold take a while to build up a lot of water.

Also try buying your fuel somewhere else. Gas docks at marina's are famous for having water in the gas, but it can happen at regular gas stations, and the owner is less likely to find out about it.

Philster

Captain

I don't know what scientists you've been talking to, but water will most certainly condense on the inside of a less than full tank, the amount will depend on the humidity in your area.

Provide your proof to substantiate your claim. If you could reference or cite a controlled test or two where measurable amounts of water where retrieved from tank walls, that would help.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/myth_of_condensation_in_fuel_tanks.htm

robert graham

Admiral

Fuel tank condensation is a real issue, both in aircraft as well as boats. We always keep tanks full on airplane and drain filter chambers before each flight, and there is always some water in the drain cup. Same for a boat, keep tanks full and treated with stabilizer. Good Luck!

Philster

Captain

People, are you even reading the posts in this thread -- especially the opening post!?

Seriously!

Thanks everyone for the input, especially all the discussion we got on condensation. The boat has been sitting for a long time, so I am certain it isn't from the gas station; I'm talking that I would say my fuel/gas mixture was 30-50% water. The boat has not run, not since i have owned it, so from what I hear it could be coming from that o ring at the fuel tank, which i will check, or possibly leaking down into the tank from the sender location. The seal at the sender looked good, so I don't think that is my issue. However, I will check to see how tight the clamps are around the hoses at the tank. I guess nobody thinks it could be entering through the vent?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I towed a guy with water in the tank a couple of weeks ago.

Neighborhood JD with a garden hose. Outperforms condensation and vent drips every time.

Possible in your case? 30-50% isn't condensation or drips.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

People, are you even reading the posts in this thread -- especially the opening post!?

Seriously!

No, they aren't- they'd prefer to believe that condensation can somehow result in a tank full of water :D

And for those who insist that condensation occurs, well, NOBODY SAID IT DOESN'T. What's been proven by more than one pro is that the amounts involved are too small to pose an issue, and are easily handled by your filter/separator. Here's one:

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/myth_of_condensation_in_fuel_tanks.htm

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Oops- sorry Philster. I posted the same link you did. It's still a real good explanation tho.

Probably not Home Cookin, I am going to put the new injectors in this weekend and put about 10 gals of fuel in. After I get it done, we will see what happens, just no telling at this time. I checked the gas cap and hoses at the tank, a mystery so far. Will keep everyone posted, thanks for the help!

a70eliminator

Captain

I towed a guy with water in the tank a couple of weeks ago.

Neighborhood JD with a garden hose. Outperforms condensation and vent drips every time.

Possible in your case? 30-50% isn't condensation or drips.

I can relate to that one, some kids playing "gas station" with a garden hose, filler up buddy, right up the old exhaust pipe of my old lincoln, kinda funny actually, dang good thing it has one of those trap door fuel access buttons in the console and they didn't get to that.

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

The one flaw in the argument in the article is they neglect the effect of air exchange with every warm/cool cycle.

Taking 1/2 cup of water out a 10 gallon aircraft tank every morning in the spring (when it hasn't rained) is a real eye-opener, as is seeing the sweat run off the machinery in my work shop on a spring day.